Chapter Forty-Two: Ordinary Moments(End of Book One)

"The tachyon device is in place."

"You think it'll work?" Barry asked. I looked up at the device, a sense of dread and anticipation filling me.

"It'll work." Cisco assured him.

"So how do we advertise to him that the prototype's here?"

"According to him, he's always one step ahead. He'll be here." I said.

"We'll take care of that." Dr. Wells said. I'm sure you will. He and Joe shared a look.

"What's the problem?" Barry questioned.

"Look, Barry, me and Dr. Wells have spoken and...we think it would be best if you weren't here for this." Joe explained.

"Oh gosh." I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"What are you talking about?"

"Here we go."

"You're too close to this."

"Or maybe you're not close enough." Barry shot back, "IF you hadn't been too scared and warned me that he was here weeks ago I could have been prepared for this."

"Barry..." I put a hand on his arm, but he brushed it off.

"I think we can all appreciate Joe's concern for Iris, Barry."

"That's why I have to be here! I'm the best chance  at catching this guy!"

"Not right now, not in this state." Barry took a deep breath.

"This man stabbed my mother through the heart and sent my father to prison for it. This is my fight. "

"Not today, son." He grabbed his coat, angrily storming out of the room. Joe looked up at me. I nodded.

"I'll talk to him." I followed him. "Barry...Barry!" I flew up to where he was, grabbing his arm and stopping him. "Barry, you need to calm down-"

"Calm down?! Seriously?!"

"You're no use to anybody when you're like this! Look, I know from experience-"

"Experience? Really?" He was closer to me now. "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WENT THROUGH, SO DON'T EVEN PRETEND LIKE YOU DO!"

"That's not what I was saying Barry! I was saying is that I know that anger doesn't get you anywhere good-" He slapped the wall and I took a step back. That's when he stopped. He saw the fear in my eyes, almost shielded by oncoming tears, because in this moment, I had never seen Barry Allen get this angry and I was terrified.

"I..." I shook my head, wiping my eyes.

"Barry...when you're as angry as you are right now...it scares people. Not because you're yelling, but because...angry people..." I stepped forward, putting a hand on his face, "their actions are unpredictable, even to themselves. Don't let anger make you do something you're gonna regret. "

"Karen, I...I'm sorry." I shook my head again.

"It's ok...everything is ok."

"What did I do to deserve you?" He whispered. In response I pressed my lips gently to his. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"There's someone I want you to meet." I stopped dead in my tracks, my hand still intertwined with his.

"Not..." He nodded. "No, Barry, I'm not ready for that! I mean I've been all over the place, my hair is a mess-" We were already there...Iron Heights Prison. I shot him a look.