If only she knew

Chapter 17-If only she knew

As I entered the house, Jas sat on the sofa grinning, she fidgeted excitedly as I sat beside her.

“You kissed him!” Jas screeched, did this girl know everything?

“What? NO! How do you know?” I was so confused, had she been stalking me.

“Your physically glowing and judging by your reaction, I wasn’t wrong” Jas smirked, her eyes doing a victory dance.

“He’s a hell of a kisser isn’t he?” I stared at my sister in shock...then realised that she had been out with him…of course they’d kissed. I blushed furiously at his comment…but then I’d only ever been kissed once before and by someone I didn’t know.

“Where did you go on a date?” Jas was bopping up and down in excitement.

“A fight club” I waited for her reaction.

“A FIGHT CLUB?” Jas repeated her eyes widened.

“He apologised it for being a lame date, he was quite sweet actually” I mumbled, grinning to myself.

“You’re falling for him” Jas shouted, her eyes welling up, of course Ashley had hurt her…broken her heart to be exact.

“I’m not!” I defended myself, only half believing it myself.

“Prove it” Jas held the camera…pressing record. I can do this…he broke your sisters heart. I stared straight at the lens, taking a deep breath.

“You…Ashley Jackson may be the player…but you’ve just been played” I tried to get as much coldness into my voice; my eyes flickered over to Jas whose grin grew. She quickly shut the camera and cleared her throat.

“Sorry I doubted you, it’s just everyone falls for Ashley eventually” Jas mumbled, I smiled…if only she knew.

“Well I won’t” I wasn’t only reassuring Jas but also reassuring myself, I couldn’t fall for Ashley…I wouldn’t allow myself to.

“Well, Candice has invited us shopping” Jas rolled her eyes, I eyed her suspiciously…what did she have against her?

“So I told her you’d go” Jas got up, heading for the stairs.

“Aren’t you coming?” I asked, she shifted uncomfortably.

“I can’t…I have uh…things to do” With that, Jas rushed upstairs before I could say anything.

I met Candice in the mall, it was degrading being next to her, I wouldn’t be surprised if she was America’s next top model. I’ll admit, as soon as I saw her, I judged Candice...but she couldn’t be any different. She wasn’t shallow or snobby, she was the opposite. After what seemed like hours, we stopped for lunch.

“So you and my cousin” Candice stared at me, I took a deep breath, so this is why she invited me.

“Uh… yeah?” What else was I meant to say?

“How was the date? Where’d you go?” Candice gabbled excitedly.

“Uh, we went to a fight club” As soon as I said it, Candice laughed…was I the only one who didn’t find it funny?

“Kieran’s fight club?” Candice asked, I nodded.

“I told that boy to close it down…it being illegal and everything” Candice sighed, picking her salad…I almost choked on my hamburger.

“It’s illegal?” I spluttered, taking a sip of my drink.

“Does Kieran strike you as a legal person” Candice giggled, thinking about it the fight club was iffy, very suspicious…it made sense.

“I suppose” I sighed, great Ashley’s brother is a criminal.

“Let’s hope Ashley doesn’t follow in his footsteps, he likes you Lauren…you’ll keep him off the rails won’t you?” Candice’s eyes pleaded with me…I thought the plan was to break his heart.

“Sure…I’ll try” I smiled fakely…I was going to hurt him so bad…I felt really guilty.

“Thank-you, it means so much” Candice hugged me quickly; we started to walk around the mall, waiting for Ashley. But the site I saw was shocking…

Jas and Brad, alone. Eating dinner, my best-friend and my sister; had I been ditched. Is this why Jas didn’t come?

“Ooh, looks like your twins stealing your best-friend” Candice laughed; I knew she was joking yet it still didn’t add up. Luckily I saw Ashley; I was ready to go home.

“Hey girls, how was the shopping?” Ashley asked, once we were in the car.

“Good, the girls got style” Candice grinned, making me smile.

“Of course, that’s why I asked her on a date” Ashley winked at me, making my heart leap…don’t fall for him.

“Actually about that…ever so the romantic cousin” Candice punched his arms lightly.

“Whatever…who’s being dropped off first?” Ashley changed the question quickly.

“I am” Candice piped in first, I glared at her. But she just winked at me, god she was meddling.

“See you later lovers” Candice sang as she got out, Ashley began to drive again in an un-easy silence.

“How about, Friday night I take you on another date?” Ashley smirked, his eyes shining.

“Where are we going this time? Drag racing?” I scowled, after that date…I was going no-where public with him again.

“L0-” Ashley started, but quickly got cut off.

“That’s another way to die” I glared in his direction.

“Lauren-” Ashley tapped his foot impatiently.

“Or maybe something else illegal…oh the thrill” I said bitterly.

“I mean a proper date…where I’ll be a real gentleman” Ashley grabbed my hand, holding it gently; I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel the spark of electricity fly through my arm.

“Oh, but I thought a fight-club was ever so romantic” I said sarcastically but couldn’t keep the smile from tugging at my lip.

We stopped right outside my house, Ashley leaned forward. Two can play at this game.

“Thanks for the lift” I quickly ran out, leaving Ashley shocked.

I sat on my sofa, waiting for Jas to walk in, I heard a car and two minutes later, I heard the front door open. Jas was grinning…how could she take my best-friend away from me.

“I didn’t think you’d be here” Jas mumbled, just loud enough for me to hear.

“I saw you at the mall” I said bluntly, waiting for Jas’ reaction.

“Are you sure? Probably someone else?” Jas looked around the room, avoiding my eye-contact…how predictable.

“With Brad…you and Brad alone…what’s going on?” I tried to stay calm but inside I was screaming.

“N-nothing” Jas stuttered, looking at the floor.

“Jas…are you and Brad best-friends?” It took all my might to say it…Jas wouldn’t do that to me…would she?

“NO! I’m not stealing him from you” Jas’ eyes welled up, shocked at what I’d said.

“Then, what?” I yelled, she took a deep breath.

“We were on a date” Jas screeched back, my eyes widening in shock. Relief washing through me.