7|| Hold Your Horses

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 7: Hold Your Horses

The last time I checked, there was a difference between the term 'dare' and the term 'public humiliation'.

~Starlight24

"My face feels so naked," I remarked as I starred at myself in the mirror. I'd gotten my braces removed, and my contacts had come in today morning. I laughed at my reflection of the child-like girl staring back at me.

"I kind of miss your old look," said Mom, nostalgia tinging her words. "You looked so cute!" I rolled my eyes mockingly.

I was wearing bulky clothes, because Deeds' surprise was a horse-riding getaway to a nearby ranch. I was wearing an old t-shirt and jeans, my hair tied back and a sports cap to flank the top, along with a pair of sneakers and sunglasses hiding most of my face. I pecked Mom on the cheek when I heard Deeds' car's impatient horn for the fourth time (yes, I'd counted) outside my house. "COMING!" I screeched as I flapped towards the door.

Deeds and Marie were already there, and we had to pick up Hailey on the way. Marie was wearing a high-low dress and a floppy hat, so I guessed she wasn't horse riding. No shocker there, she probably thought they were too disgusting. Deirdre was wearing a cute jumpsuit and a hat that cast a shadow across her face. Her hair dripped onto her shoulder blades and she smiled at me in acknowledgement.

We drove to Hailey's in around ten minutes, and she was already there and well equipped. She was frantically pouring sunscreen onto her palms and her hair was tied in two high ponytails (Haha, get it? Ponytails; and we're going horse riding?) Cowgirl style. She looked like a bug with her Rhine-rimmed sunglasses and bandana.

"Hi!" she exclaimed enthusiastically, waving happily. "I bet you're really excited, huh?" she asked, sitting with me at the back. The convertable had been opened, so Marie had taken off her shawl and was holding it out in the wind, allowing it to bellow behind us.

I nodded in response. Deirdre chuckled from the front seat, and cocked her head slightly so she could see us in the rearview mirror. "Let's make things interesting," she began, and I suddenly had the inkling of doubt that it was going to be good. "Let's give each other dares."

This was immediately followed by a chorus of approval from Marie and Hailey, but a half-hearted one from me. I wasn't a good girl, but I wasn't a bad girl either. And I didn't think this was going to be good.

"Marie," began Deirdre, pausing thoughtfully. "I dare you to go horse riding."

"No!" shrieked Marie. "I don't wanna be anywhere near those disgusting creatures. They've got such huge teeth, and flies all around and they smell so bad—" she started rambling.

"Come on! It won't be that bad. Plus, you can borrow some jeans there and it'll be fun. I promise!" Hailey gave Marie a beaming smile, which made Marie sink into her seat but she didn't say anything. Deeds decided to take that as a yes.

"Hailey," she smiled. "I dare you to go on a horse, and not a pony. I dare you to go on a really tall horse and do the whole obstacle course." That didn't seem too hard.

"No! I'll die up there... you know how acrophobic I am!" she exclaimed, seeming distraught.

"Exactly! Conquer your fear, Hails. I know you can do it." Deeds gave her a reassuring smile.

So far, the dares hadn't seemed too bad. I guess I wasn't going to get something that bad either.

"Day," said Deeds, enthusiastic that she was going to get a chance to pick on the new kid. Oh joy, I was tingling with excitement to get publicly humiliated. Note the use of the mental monotone and overly thick sarcasm. "I dare you to flirt with your instructor."