40|| I've Seen Rice Grains With More Style

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 40: I've Seen Rice Grains With More Style

Fashion is a trend. It's the fever that everyone needs to go through to be considered a somebody. Style is what lives within you. It's the singularly unique trait in a person. While fashion screams "me too!" style whispers "only me".

~Starlight24

White on white greeted me as I opened my eyes. I groaned loudly. This place was going to be the literal death of me.

The hospital.

"Day!" Mom exclaimed, smiling widely. "Get her in a wheelchair," she instructed somebody. "Max has been asking for her."

I gulped loudly. "Max is really awake, isn't he?" I asked, feeling light headed. "He's actually alive?"

Mom smiled widely, although it looked mildly painful. "Yes, Honey. He's awake and he's been asking for you the whole time."

A gold ball sized lump formed in my throat. I'd been imagining the situation where he awoke several times but now that it was actually happening, I couldn't wrap my head around it. What was I supposed to say to him, really? Was I to mention the unsent text?

Was I supposed to address the fact that I knew he was in love with me?

I gulped loudly as someone shoved a glass of water down my throat, instantly feeling marginally better. Then, a few doctors hoisted me up and onto a wheelchair and my eyes kept darting around the place and I couldn't really focus on anything.

Max was alive.

Tears of both joy and relief rushed down my face and I began breathing rapidly, each breath shallow and soft as a nurse pushed me down. "Hi there, Sunshine," whispered the nurse, and I whipped around to face Holly, the nurse that had helped me out last time I was here. "Do you pop up here a lot?"

I laughed dryly. "More than the average person does, for sure," I said honestly.

Holly smiled. "Well, now you'll get to talk it out with that boy, right?"

My eyes widened and a feeling of nausea swooped over me. "Um, yeah, I guess," I said, clenching my fists down tightly (or attempting to; both my hands had been horribly injured during my fall when Cady pushed me out the door) and resting my head back.

"Hey now, don't feel scared," Holly crooned, smiling down at me. "Max is a good kid; I was taking care of him. He won't do anything to hurt you."

I nodded.

He loved me. He wasn't the one who was going to hurt me.

I was going to hurt him.

Holly pushed the doors of Max's room that had been moved from the ICU to his own ward. The room was full of wooden shelves, a TV set, a couple of gifts on a stand next to Max's bed, a couch and a bathroom. It smelt of fresh, wet roses and air freshener spray.

Oh, and Max himself.

"Day!" he exclaimed, looking very happy to see me. "I heard about your fall. That sucks! Miss. Klutzy strikes again, huh?" he asked n rapid-fire.

I smiled tightly and gulped, unnerved by his normal attitude and his old nickname for me just bouncing back up. "Yeah," I said, stiffly.

"Hey, Mom?" he asked, and Mrs. Edmonds, whose head had been buried in a book, shot up, smiling widely and holding a protective stance as she walked towards her son.