34|| So Much Less Than Friends

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 34: So Much Less Than Friends

I remember the laughter. I remember the tears.
I remember the day you walked away and proved my fears.
And now, all you are is a stranger. A stranger with all my secrets.

~Starlight24

My head felt like it had been smashed against a freaking wall and then run over by a monster truck.

I tried to open my eyes but then winced as a white, searing pain shot through my body. My eyes stung like they had been touched by a fiery chili.

"Ow," I whined, and then I felt around my mouth. There were crusty bits of blood hanging along the sides (gross, I know) and it tasted salty. My eyes were stinging and my nose felt crushed. My head on the other hand...

"I freaking hate you!" someone yelled, and then I heard someone crying.

I felt a cool, wet cloth against my eyes and I opened them again, and I screamed when I saw Dr. Hopkins hovering above me.

"Hello again," he said with a small smile, and I tried to reciprocate it but I just couldn't.

My whole face hurt.

"How do I look?" I asked, but I couldn't even say that without my face feeling like it was being shoved into the mouth of a bonfire.

"Um..." he began, before taking a mirror and placing it above me.

I made Annabelle seem like a weak horror story.

My whole face was smashed up and my nose was obviously broken. I had scratches across my face and a long, pink, fleshy and raw open wound across my cheek. My mouth looked like someone had traced a knife across and my lips were cut along it and had dried up, making me look like a Miranda Sings wannabe. My eyes were tiny and bloodshot and my usually bright blue eyes looked almost violet. My head had been plastered up and there was white from the bandages covering up my whole forehead.

Grotesque was an understatement.

"I'm going to give myself nightmares," I whimpered, attempting to push away the mirror but then looking at the thick cast on my right hand and the thick wrapping of bandages on my left hand's index finger.

"Oh, you shattered your right arm during the fall, along with fracturing your index on the left hand and snapping your left leg's kneecap. Your right leg's ankle is horribly twisted and your rib is cracked," Dr. Hopkins said, and I winced. My body did feel very awful.

"What happened?" I whispered, feeling the events that had happened previously all coming down in a hazy mess.

"We were hoping you'd clear that up for us. Thankfully, you didn't hit your head during the fall, so your memories should be intact. However, if you are feeling any discomfort around there, it will be because of the twisted angle in which you landed in and not because of an actual injury."

Yay life.

"How on Earth am I still alive?" I asked.

Okay, I was genuinely confused to death as to how I wasn't gone yet. I couldn't be this lucky. No one was ever this lucky! Especially with my deficiency. It didn't make sense.

But hey, I wasn't tempting fate.

Dr. Hopkins just smiled. "God evidently doesn't like you but he knows you can't go to hell. He doesn't want you in Heaven yet, I suppose."