25|| Starting Over

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 25: Starting Over

Starting over is like a breath of fresh air. It's when you're drowning and someone helps you up, offering to be the one to let you breathe.

~Starlight24

I was rocking on the balls of my feet. Well this took awkward to a whole new level.

"Hey," Jase said, walking out. He looked surprised to see me, and rightfully so. I would have been too, if I was in his place.

"Hi!" I said, reading through my mental preparation of what to say.

Hey, I'm sorry I lied. The thing is, I'm actually Starlight, and I didn't want to make anyone see me differently because of my fame. I wanted to make friends who genuinely liked me for being me, and I'm glad to have found real friends. Don't treat me differently just because I'm a famous superstar. I'm still the same old Day June Winters. I'm the same old crazy, socially awkward, clumsy and weird klutz.

"I don't like you," he blurted, and I raised my eyebrows. Okay, this wasn't what I was expecting, really. This was going to be harder to put across now.

"Um, thanks?" I said.

"No!" he said hurriedly, seemingly embarrassed. "I mean, I don't... I'm not attracted to you or anything. I kinda had a mild infatuation at the start I guess but after you kissed me day-before-yesterday, I realized that I didn't really have any feelings for you. I don't really care about the whole Starlight thing, because I was never really into her to begin with. I don't see what all the hype is about her. I just wanted to apologize for leading you on and stuff."

"Gosh, breathe!" I said, not really comprehending what he was saying.

"You don't... you don't mind that I just absolutely rejected you?" he asked, looking confused.

I thought about the situation I was in. Was Jase hot? Definitely. Did I value his friendship and would I become very upset if we weren't friends anymore? Yes. Did I actually have a crush on him? Well, considering the fact that the thing with Max just happened, I'm not really opening my heart out to anyone anytime soon.

So no, him confessing this to me didn't really hurt me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, innocently. "How can you reject me if I didn't even like you that way?"

Now it was his turn to blink. "You don't?" he asked, looking immensely confused.

I laughed and shook my head. "Hate to disappoint, but I don't. I just broke up with my boyfriend, for Pete's sake! I'm not going to be that disrespectful. No matter how much of a jerk he was to me."

He looked insanely relieved. "Oh my god, you have no idea how relieving that is to hear," he said, giving me a warm smile. "So... friends?"

I grinned. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

*****

Jase's house? Check. Although it wasn't the answer I'd been expecting, it was something and I couldn't feel happier. I guess I'm kind of glad he told me to not like him, because I wouldn't expect something like that to have been said by a person like him.

A person like him. Wow, I'm so judgmental it killed me.

Now I needed to tackle Dylan's house.

I rang the doorbell. I vaguely remember something about his parents being out of town, and him complaining about being a loner.

He opened the door, and I pasted a smile across my face. "Hi—"