28|| This is Becoming too Predictable for my Liking

Follow me:

Instagram: @a.lake.yeah

Twitter: AlekhyaBhat

Chapter 28: This is Becoming too Predictable for my Liking

It's funny how as soon as things or people becoming predictable, they're no longer interesting.

~Starlight24

The hospital. Again.

Seriously, this is becoming too predictable for my liking.

It was a miracle that I hadn't had this large soap opera drama and ended up running away with a male nurse or something in the sunset.

I groaned and opened my eyes. There were tubes shoved in various places in my body and even through my nose. There was a bottle of liquid oxygen on the side of the bed and I remembered my throat had stopped allowing me to breathe before I'd passed out.

I wasn't dead.

"Day," a familiar voice sounded, and my vision focused on the familiar doctor. He seemed surprised to see me awake.

"Hi-" I began, and to my surprise I choked and wasn't able to even say 'Doctor Hopkins' without going through a coughing fit. I was kind of pathetic.

"Don't speak. Your throat is too parched," he advised, and I nodded slowly.

No one was in the room. Huh, so much for the back to life party I'd been expecting.

I motioned for the empty space in the room before looking back at him. He raised an eyebrow and then handed me a bottle of water. I was too weak to even lift it up, so he fed me water.

I really felt like some disabled, weak and pathetic person right now.

Perhaps this was what all zombies felt like?

"Where," I managed to croak out. "Is everyone else?"

Dr. Hopkins avoided eye contact and then cleared his throat. He wasn't exactly instilling a lot of confidence in me at the moment, I hope he realized that.

"Um," he began, looking increasingly uncomfortable, and I raised my eyebrow.

"What? What are you hiding from me?" I demanded.

"Well, the priests were here a few minutes ago..." he said, eyeing me warily, and my eyebrows shot up.

"The priests!?" I asked, feeling very confused. My parents weren't very religious people. They were one of those dramatic love story people with their parents hating each other. Yeah, my parents eloped. Their families pretty much hated them. I wasn't the only reason they moved to the remote countryside, as much as I like to make myself feel super important and stuff. "Why on earth were the priests here?"

"Um... Let's just say that your heartbeat stopped fully an hour ago and the priests came to talk about the funeral rites," he began, and I squeaked, a miserable noise throwing itself out of my quavering lips.

"I'm dead?" I asked. How was it possible to have no heartbeat for an hour and magically live!?

"It's happened before, Day. I mean, it's happened before where people have no heartbeat for an hour and manage to survive. It just hasn't happened before to people with a track record as bad as your own. So your mom is currently a mess, your friend... Deirdre, I think her name was? Tried to wring her arms around another girl with short hair before she fainted and the rest of your friends are crying. I was going to take your body to the storage room where we have the rest of the bodies that are left to be buried."