37|| The Villain's Tale

Chapter 37: The Villain's Tale

Sometimes, it's not about being the good guy. It's just about correcting what you did before.

~Starlight24

I would have liked to say this revelation made me jump out of bed and sprint to my answers as the wind brushed it's fingers through my hair, but my broken knee caught my attention as I attempted to hop out of my bed and I howled in pain, crumpling to the ground.

Mom was up in two minutes, and she gasped dramatically as she saw me in a heap on the floor.

"What happened!?" she exclaimed, looking like she was surprised to see an expression of something other than looking completely disconnected and impassive.

"I tried skydiving in my room, but I kind of failed," I drawled out sarcastically, causing my mother to roll her eyes at me.

I guess I was a tad bit incorrigible and mean, but hey, it was in my nature.

"Day, are you capable of speaking normally?" she asked, clicking her tongue. It was sad how, even after all these years, my mom thought she could one-up me.

No one could one-up me.

Yeah, I'm a bit cocky, but self-love is the best love, right?

"Well," I began, trying and failing to get into a better position than the distorted angle at which I was in a heap on the ground. "They say your parents are your first teachers, so shouldn't you answer that? Did you teach me to speak normally?"

She glared at me.

"Really, Mom?" I asked, now starting to feel the pain in my legs and arms. "Can you stop trying to back-talk the sass queen and help me up, please?"

Mom looked like she was going to argue some more, before she actually realized my face scrunching up in pain.

"Oh goodness, are you alright?" she asked, holding her hand out for me to grab. I clumsily attempted to catch it but failed epically because failing is my middle name (apart from June. Not much better, though), so Mom had to pick me up and put me on the bed, with me muttering curses under my breath.

"Well," I asked, once I was settled on the bed. "Do you think I'm alright?"

Mom rolled her eyes again. "I'm not even going to bother saying anything," she mumbled.

"You just did," I pointed out.

"What do you want?" she asked, ignoring my statement completely.

"Um, I want to leave the house," I said, meekly.

Mom looked like I'd just told her that I was secretly an extraterrestrial Alpha monkey with four million pineapples and a bad case of jaundice.

"What?" she whispered, as if she couldn't believe her ears. "Does my hearing deceive me or did my daughter just say she wanted to press the play button on her social life?"

My mom was way too dramatic, really.

I picked up my phone and dialed in Deeds' number, a knot forming in my stomach. I was scared about my realization, but I wasn't a coward to not act upon it.

"Deeds?" I asked, and I heard a gasp.

"Day! You're talking? Are you okay? Do I need to bash anyone's brains out? Cady and I could totally do that for you. We've been discussing who all need to really get beaten with a brick. Do you—" she began, sounding really excited.

"Jeez, calm down," I said, dryly. "And no, I'm okay. At least, I think I am. We need to talk, though."

I could feel Deeds' excitement drop to below sea level. "Did I do something wrong?" she asked, sounding confused and hurt.