SIMON

Our entire flat is on fire. Smoke is filling the air so densely, I can't breathe. Coughing, I try to run over to Baz, who is on the other side of the room. I have to stop short, because there is a wall of flame dividing our apartment. Baz is rapidly backing away from the fire, knocking over a lamp in progress. He pulls out his wand and tries to cast a "Make a wish!" but it doesn't work. Baz looks more terrified than I've ever seen him. I'm scared for him. I don't think I'd be okay if anything happened.
"Baz! Get out the fire escape!" I try to yell, but I end up coughing and doubling over. He sees me, and his eyes widen even further. I see him climb out onto the fire escape, and I head for the door. Alarms blare out from the hallway. I run down the stairs as fast as I can. When I get outside to the pavement, I don't see Baz anywhere. I push through the crowds of people standing at the foot of the building, trying to get everyone out or just watching the fire spread from our room everywhere else. Our building isn't scorched terribly on the outside, but flames are coming through our window. I don't even know what started the fire. I just saw something black floating in out kitchen. I look around for Baz, but I don't see him. Baz isn't in the crowd of people, or anywhere near it. Then I remember the fire escape goes down the side of our building. I run into the alleyway between our building and the next. I see someone standing at the end of the alley, but I can't see their face.
"Baz?" I call out. The figure turns. Before I see their face, something hits me in the side of my neck. It's almost as if the world disappears. I can feel my body falling, and someone grabs it, but my mind doesn't stop them before it winks out.
***
I wake up in a dark room far from where I last was. Where was I last? I don't even remember. My brain is murkier than a swamp. I try to stand up, but I can't. Whoever brought me here stuck my wings to a wall. Then I remember. Baz. Where the fuck is he? Where the fuck am I?
Someone walks in and shines a light on my face. I wince, but I look up. It's that fucking doctor.
"Where is he? Where is the other one?" he hisses, moving his face centimeters from mine.
I try to move back, but I can't, really, in this chair, so I just end up straining my head back. "The other who?" I ask. I think he's trying to find Baz, but there is no way I'd let him near Baz. Especially if I knew where he was.
"Where. Is. The. Other. Boy?" Quendon yells at me again.
Time for quick thinking. I raise an eyebrow. "You mean Micah? Because I haven't seen him in days. I should probably call him."
Doctor Quendon grabs me by the front of my shirt. "The Pitch brat! Where did he go?"
"Who are you talking about? Maybe you should go to therapy. Therapists help everyone, even people like you!" I say happily, trying to throw him off of whatever he wants from Baz.
The doctor throws a chair in the room. He's surprisingly strong, for a human. Then again, I'm used to Baz throwing things. (It's a long story, involving a table and high velocity pineapples.) The good news is, I get away from him. The bad news is that he gets mad and punches
me in the face and I pass out again.
Fucking Quendon.
***
The next time I wake up, I'm alone. The darkness is starting to creep me out. I try not to think, but my old trick isn't helping. I can't get Baz's face out of my brain. I can't stop myself from wondering where he is. I also can't shake the feeling that if he doesn't find me, Quendon will liquidize me and feed me to pigs.