-37-

"Michael is in Massachusetts." Lucifer suddenly appeared in the room, making us spring away from each other in shock. "Sorry, am I interrupting something?"

Gabe coughed awkwardly, climbing off top of me and withdrawing his wings despite Luci not being able to see them, "Uh, no no... Massachusetts? What's he doing there?"

Luci looked between us suspiciously but seemed to shrug it off, "Yes, Massachusetts. It seems there's been some threatening demon behaviour near there... nothing to do with me, of course..."

"What did you do?" He looked up at me innocently and I raised an unimpressed eyebrow at him. "What?"

"I might have told your mother that you were there..." he said, sheepishly looking down as anger flared in Gabe's sunlight-though-whiskey eyes, "What?! I tracked her down in Hell, she can't find you with all the protection on you."

"You didn't exactly think this through now, did you?" Gabe growled through gritted teeth, glaring at his brother while stroking my arm with his thumb.

"What? She's fine and safe and I thought we could take her mother down at the same time..." Luci was getting more worried by the second as he was slowly realising he probably shouldn't have done that.

"You realise that means we're not only up against Mike, we've got Darwena to deal with, too!" Gabe finally snapped after he'd been getting tenser and tenser against my side. "This is on your head, Luci. If Beth gets hurt in a-"

"She won't," Luce cut him off, "She's got us. I get it... I'm an idiot but it attracted his attention and he touched down about three minutes ago, flanked by two other angels. I'm sorry that I'm putting Beth in danger but she can't stay safe forever... you've got to let her use what powers she has..."

"No, I haven't," Gabe barked and I turned to glare at him, hurt, pulling away and getting off the bed hastily - not wanting to be cuddled any longer. As I went to stand by Luci who also seemed shocked, he coughed, trying to apologise, "No, I mean, I-"

"What do you even mean by that, Gabe?" I looked down at him accusingly, seeing fear in his widened eyes, "You may be my soulmate but that doesn't mean you own me... You can't control me..."

"I know, I know," he covered, standing from the comforter and going to hug me but I flinched away from him and his eyes flashed with hurt, "I'm sorry... I just couldn't bear to see you hurt..."

I tried to stand firm but I made the mistake of looking into his golden eyes, the heartbreaking look engrained inside them making me soften my glare. I looked down at my hands, fiddling with my fingernails and acting uninterested when really I just could bear to look at his face. Soon after, I was enveloped in a hug and his warmth emanated through him to me, causing a sigh to escape from my mouth as I wrapped my arms around his tummy and Luci gagged beside me before laughing.

"I'm sorry... I got angry..."

He pulled back, keeping his hands on my shoulders as he looked into my eyes honestly, "No, you had every right to be angry, babe... I was being a dick, I know I don't own you. I just love you too much," Luci retched again as I smiled, "Oh, shut up, Luci. Just 'cause you can't keep a partner without killing them somehow..."

"Hey! I'm sensitive," Lucifer shot back, making me giggle as I turned to look at him.

"D'aww, sensitive Satan..." He stuck his forked tongue out at me and I smirked, snapping my fingers and suddenly he had the words, 'I'm sensitive' plastered across his forehead in Sharpie.

"Oi! Take this off!" he cried, seeing his reflection in the mirror on the dresser as Gabe cracked up beside me, holding his hand up for a high-five.

"No, why don't you?" I grinned, slapping Gabe's hand and turning back to Lucifer who had turned his eyes red, "Ooh, I'm so scared... Look at me, I'm practically shaking in my boots..."

A low growl erupted from his throat and I would have been scared but the markered on words completely ruined his whole 'bad guy' look, "I cant! An angel can't undo another angel's magic..."

This was news to me but I continued laughing, "Bet you wish you hadn't taught me now, eh? Oh, fine..." I gave in and snapped my fingers a second time, watching in amusement as he stared in the mirror, looking for any trace of the pen that had previously been there.

"If you weren't my brother's powerful girlfriend, I would kill you so much right now," he muttered as I smirked, laughing, "Stop smirking! That's my thing..."

"I'm pretty sure you didn't invent smirking," I said, feeling smart until I saw Gabe nodding his head. My jaw dropped in disbelief, "Really? You did?"

"Yeah?" Luci shrugged as if it were the most obvious, "Of course I did, I invented everything cool..."

I rolled my eyes at his arrogance, "Right, because nothing is more cool than smirking..." I turned back to Gabe as Luce pulled a face at the back of my head - I could almost feel his eyes burning into me (knowing him, he probably did have laser eyes), "So, are we going to Massachusetts, then?"

"Yeah, Massachusetts. Why do decisions always seem to take forever when you're around?" He was shaking his head but there was a loving look in his eyes. "We're not in some chick flick..."

"I invented those, too," Lucifer perked up and I shot him a confused glance, "Okay, they're not my greatest creation, I'll admit that... but anything that can make a girl aroused that quickly is a sin..." He smirked and I scoffed in disgust.

"You're despicable, you know that?"

"Oh, I know, honey... I just love your reactions to everything I say," he chuckled and I narrowed my eyes, flicking them down to his gut for a second and soon he was keeled over in agony. Gabe stepped forward on instinct, seeing his brother in pain, but saw my smile and edged out of my way. "Beth-"

"What? I can't hear you over the sound of your vessel's stomach being liquefied?" I countered as Luci coughed up blood, "Did you say you're sorry? Did you say you're never going to mess with me ever again?"

He gave me a death glare despite the pain. "Yes-" he managed, the carpet in front of him turning red, "I'm sor-... sorry..."

Satisfied, I clicked my fingers and replaced his stomach as he struggled and stood back up. The blood disappeared, too, while he looked at me with newfound fear in his eyes along with a hint of malice swimming deep inside them. Gabe was still looking at me, wide-eyed.

"Beth..." he said cautiously, careful not to provoke me, "I love you and you're brilliant but... you're really scary sometimes..."