яεαℓιzαтιση

Utakata watched as Sakura played with one of the noodles in her bowl. Her expression was glum and her once bright, radiating smile was tightly pressed into a frown. Her eyes were tired and it seemed that her mind was elsewhere.

"Sakura-chan, is everything okay?" He finally asked.

Sakura peered over to the opposite side of the table. "Yeah, I'm okay." She continued to drop the noodle into the bowl and pick it back up.

He rested his hand on her's and brushed his fingers against her skin soothingly. "Sakura-chan... This is a great opportunity for you. Now, you can join any club you want and won't have to feel tied down to such important duties."

That was true, but the Student Council and her friends are what made her happy. She didn't feel tied down or restricted - she could have easily joined another club while still attending the Student Council. Never in her life had she ever felt any happier than when she was at the meetings. Hidan with his loud ramblings and exaggerated stories. Deidara and Sasori teasing her and walking her to her classroom in the morning. Kakuzu sitting idly in his chair, his arms always folded over his chest and that annoyed glint in his eyes. Kisame always made sure she was comfortable or assisted her with things she just couldn't do by herself. And Itachi... he had saved her life on the first day of school.

How could she truly miss out on anything else?

"But he said that they didn't need me... Why would he say that if it wasn't true?" She thought sadly, setting her chopsticks down on the table.

Memories flooded her mind as she sat quietly, pretending to listen to one of Utakata's stories. Meeting Pein-sensei and trying to play matchmaker. Golden Week... when the boys were constantly bugging her to hang out with them. And when Zetsu tried to scare her off, but the group defended her and caught him before he could do real harm. Going to the beach and enjoying the summer sun...

She smiled as she recalled the Cultural Festival. Although the situation with her father was a disaster, the day was not wasted and the group had fun together. All of them: Itachi, Kisame, Hidan, Kakuzu, Deidara and Sasori... they all made her feel special. How could she let them slip away?

Had she made a huge mistake?

...

Itachi's head was aching. This stress was nothing, but a nuisance. If he hadn't acted like such a fool then none of this would have happened.

Fugaku knocked on the door. "Itachi! What's going on? Are you okay?"

Itachi wiped his eyes and stood up from the floor. He inhaled deeply through his nose, calming himself, and opened his room to find his parents and Shisui hovering in the doorway.

"Itachi, don't scare me like that!" Mikoto chided.

Itachi tried his best to smile. "I'm sorry, Mother. I just wanted to be alone for awhile."

Fugaku crossed his arms. "Well, being alone is fine, but we were extremely worried. You have to be careful!"

"What's going on, Itachi?" Shisui asked.

"I made a mistake. I've realized what I've done wrong and now I want to make sure I correct it," Itachi answered.

Shisui motioned to Mikoto and Fugaku for privacy then stepped into Itachi's room. "Is it about Sakura-chan?"

Itachi didn't answer.

Shisui sat on his cousin's bed and smiled up at him. "I don't know what's truly going on, but don't think that your family hasn't noticed. Do you think we haven't realized your change in attitude over the course of this week?"