нιs ιηsεcυяιтү

"Itachi, can you take out the trash, please? We're in a hurry." Mikoto asked, fastening on her earrings.

Itachi grunted, half-asleep, tying the trash bag with two knots and slipped on a pair of shoes. The winter weather was growing worse, a snowstorm was supposed to travel through. He threw the bag into the metal trashcan beside his house and hurried back inside. Before he could go back to bed, his mother stopped him again.

"Oh, can you do me another favor and run down the street to the grocery store? We should stock up on some non-perishables just in case the power goes off."

He yawned, "Sure."

Bundling in her winter coat and scarf, Mikoto met with Fugaku at the door and grabbed her purse. "We'll be back Sunday night," she called. "If you need money just use the emergency card we have in my top drawer."

"I will."

"No drinking, Itachi. I've marked everything in the cabinet," Mikoto said, stern.

"Okay, okay just go. Say hi to Sasuke for me." he replied.

They waved goodbye and Itachi begrudgingly went to get dressed. His parents had woken up so early that he just wanted to crawl in bed again, but his body was just too awake now. Pulling on some jeans and a thick sweater, he looked at the clock.

8:20...

Maybe Sakura was awake too so they could go together. He could text her, but he wouldn't want to wake her. Instead, he'll just head over there and knock. Mebuki would answer if Sakura was still asleep.

The looming grey clouds overhead certainly gave the day a gloomy start. City workers were scraping snow off the walkways and sprinkling salt on the streets. Nobody wanted to be out in this weather.

While walking, Itachi wondered how he could improve his chances with Sakura. For Deidara and Sasori, all he really needed to do was understand what sort of traits they had and compare them. Between the two of them, there had to be something that Sakura liked. They were both second-year students, but that couldn't be the reason. They both were artistic, could that be it? He hated to admit it, but he didn't have a single artistic bone in his body, so that would be a fruitless effort if he attempted it.

Her house was a block away. If they went together, they could also shop a bit for the Christmas Party too. Would she mind if he got her a present?

Crossing the street, he was now steps away from her front door. Before he could reach the stairs, the front door swung open, revealing Sakura and Sasori leaving the house. The pair stopped just as the door closed, caught in Itachi's shocked gaze.

"Good morning, Sakura-chan," Itachi said, his voice soft. His eyes drifted to the redhead, "Sasori."

Sakura laughed nervously, "Ha, hey, senpai! What are you doing out so early on break?"

Itachi removed the list of items his mother wanted him to buy. "My mother wanted me to go to the store." He seemed reluctant, but he had to ask, "What about you?"

"We were just going to stop by Sasori-kun's place, so he can get a fresh pair of clothes."

"You spent the night together?" Itachi's sight fell on the dark circles under their eyes - they must have stayed up late.

Sasori's sight dropped to his shoes. "Mebuki-san insisted that I stay."

Itachi narrowed his eyes. "I see." Did she also insist on the two staying up late the entire night? Did they stay in the same room?