∂αηcιηg ιη αη εмρтү scнσσℓ

I dedicate this chapter to my wonderful student JoelleAu

If you haven't checked her stories out, you should. She does amazing work.

xxx

A shrill, generic jingle erupted from his phone beside him. Immediately turning it off then throwing it off the bed, Sasori turned onto his other side. Finishing their exams just yesterday, he had forgotten to turn off his alarm for today. He closed his eyes, pushing his arms underneath his pillow. Light peeked behind his dark curtains, but he laid stubborn, ignoring the morning sun.

Hours later, he again, awoke to the sound of his phone. However, the distinct ringtone he placed for the special person couldn't be ignored. With the blanket quickly thrown to his feet, Sasori scrambled out of bed and rushed to the other side of the bed, throwing dirty clothes out of his way.

Finally finding it, he pressed it to his ear and answered it in a relaxed tone, "Hey Sakura-chan."

"Ah, Sasori-kun! Did I wake you?" Her voice reverberating with that typical fretfulness she carried.

Taking a glance at his horrific bedhead in his full-length mirror, he returned his attention back to the beloved girl. "No, I've been awake for awhile. What is it?"

She laughed, "That's good! I know, it was only yesterday since exams, so I wanted to give you some rest." Her words made him smile. "Anyway, senpai said that Tsunade-sama ordered us to clean out the classrooms during break. Would you like to help me today?"

"Itachi didn't want to help you?" That was surprising.

"Well, he did, but his family decided to visit Sasuke in Oto. I thought it'd be nice if you and I could do it. You're not busy, right?" She giggled sheepishly. "I guess I should have asked if you had plans or not first, huh?"

"N-no! I'm actually free today! Let me finish up and I'll meet you down at the school, okay?"

"Thanks Sasori-kun! I'll meet you in ten minutes!" She sang a quick farewell then ended the call.

Ten minutes?! He was about fifteen minutes from the school even on the train. He had to hurry! Throwing a t-shirt on and pants on, he slipped on a casual jacket then stomped downstairs to brush his teeth. Was he going to be alone with Sakura?! If it what he thought was true then he had to make sure he looked his best. He threaded his fingers through his hair and examined himself for a second or two.

Eh, close enough.

Slamming the door behind him, he sprinted to the train station. Darting past crowds of people, he squeezed into the last train car, showing off his student transit card. Luckily, the man didn't take great deal examining it - although a large majority of students abused the card's privilege on weekends or vacation.

Holding onto the stand-by rail, he wondered about all of the possibilities that he could run into if he and Sakura were left alone. The entire school would be empty, but would that necessarily be a good thing? Honestly, he wasn't truly the most adept in social situations, so would it even be possible for him to gain any sort of affection points from Sakura?

Ugh, depicting this twisted bet as some sort of dating simulation. Gross.

He stuffed his free hand in his jacket's pocket, fingering something cold and rectangular. Fishing it out, he raised his brows. His old music player? Why did he have it inside of his coat? Additionally, why did he have its connection cable with it? Oh, that's right. He had brought it with him during last year's spring festival. He often occupied his time with its earbuds inside his ears, tuning out the outside world.