Chapter 13

AVERY POV

As if waking up in a area that was unfamiliar to me wasn't bad enough, an unfamiliar face was staring at me. She was small, probably no older than thirteen, and she wasn't just looking at me. She was staring.

"Hello?" I said to her.

"Hi," She casually said, as if nothing about this situation was odd. I rolled over and almost smacked my face on Brett's.

"That's my brother, I'm Lori Talbot" She stated. I raised an eyebrow. "Why do you looked so shocked?" She asked

"Oh I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude. Brett never told me he had a sister. Now that I'm thinking about it the only person about his family he ever mentioned was your father." I stated. Her eyes went wide when I mentioned her father.

"What did he tell you about our father?" She asked.

"He never told me anything about your dad, just your dad text him a lot when we are hanging out." I said. Her nostrils flared and she walked over to the other side of the bed where Brett was currently sleeping and did the last thing I expected her to do. She smacked him so hard, the noise of the smack echoed. Brett shot up out of the bed and looked at me then his sister who was smirking at him.

"What the hell Lori!?" He yelled at her.

"I don't know Brett, why don't you ask dad?" She spit at him and walked out of the room. Brett turned and looked at me as confused as can be.

"Um, we were talking about things and I told her I never heard of any of your family members besides your dad, because he is always texting you when we hang out." I said, Brett looked down at the ground and I couldn't tell what emotion he had. "Are you okay?" I asked him, he only nodded and grabbed my hand.

"Lets talk about yesterday." He stated. I started to remember things that happened yesterday. Brett telling me he didn't want to date me to me getting lost and found, to arriving at his house. I ripped my hand away from his grip.

"What is there to talk about? You made yourself pretty clear," I said to him. My feeling were hitting me like a tidal wave right now, I was mad and hurt and glad and grateful. I wasn't sure which one to use in this situation.

"No Avery, it not like that. You never gave me a chance to explain myself before you ran off. Its not that I don't want you, I just can't right now and its not because of my reputation, I don't give a damn about that. Its because thing aren't how they should be right now. I can't tell you why and what it is, but I need you to trust me." He said.

"You can't just expect me to understand the lecture you gave me. Things aren't how they should be? You can't tell me what or why? I don't understand and you broke my trust." I told him.

"How did I break your trust?" He asked.

"You didn't come after me. I walked deeper and deeper into those woods and you never came for me. You didn't care enough to come for me, and I really wanted you too." I told him. He laughed and he ran his fingers through his hair. I wish I could do that.

"Are you serious? Your one of those girls. I'm a guy Avery, when you walk away from me, I think your walking away because you want your space and I'm not going to piss you off by going after you. You know what I wanted? I wanted you to stay and talk about it! I wanted you to understand! BUT no you walked away and now your mad because I didn't rush for you, begging for your forgiveness?! No, you have me confused with someone else. That's not the kind of guy I am." He said.

I sat back and took in the everything he had just said to me. I wanted someone who would want me enough to run after me in the forest. I wanted someone who wanted to be in a committed relationship with me. Brett couldn't be that person. I got up out of the bed and started walking to the door.

"Where are you going?" He asked, not looking at me. I turned my head to him.

"You wanted to know something, I want someone who wants me, someone who wants me enough to run after me when we are fighting and I walk away. As much as I wanted it to be you, its not. You said that yourself, so I'm leaving. I am grateful for everything you did for me yesterday, but I'm leaving. I can't look at you, because every time I do, I want to forget everything that happened." I said. He walked over to me, and instead of giving me a hug or saying anything he just opened the door and held it open for me.

With tear running down my face, I walked down the hallway and down the stairs. Where I was greeted with Lori.

"Hey, I heard everything. Can I walk with you for a little bit?" She asked, obviously feeling bad for me. I nodded my head and saw Lori's eyes look behind me. I saw Brett standing at the top of the stairs.

"Let me take you home, I don't want you getting lost again." He said, I looked at Lori.

"That's why I am going to walk with her, to show her the way." She said, glaring at her older brother.

"Please Lori. You barely know your own way around, I don't want the both of you to get lost." He said, returning the glare.

"I am mad at him too Avery, but its true. I sometimes get lost." She told me. Great now I have to ride with Brett home or risk getting lost. I rolled my eyes at Brett and walked outside. I walked to the drive way and stood by Brett's car, but in the drive way was at least six other cars. It was odd if Brett only had one other sibling. Brett walked out to the car and hopped in the drivers seat without saying a word to me. I got in the car and looked at him.

"Do you guys work on cars? Because you have a lot of them." I asked.

"No." Was all he said. I rolled my eyes, fine he wanted to be rude and hateful because I'm mad then I wont bother saying a word to him. We drove the whole ride in silence, I wanted to tell him that he lied to me. He lived no where near me, but I stayed quite. He pulled up outside my house. I unbuckled and grabbed the door handle to get out but Brett grabbed the handle shutting the door.

"I don't want you to be upset with me, I didn't want it to be like this." He said .

"Yes you did," I said and ran out of the car and into my house, where I cried for hours.