Chapter 1- My Unlucky Day

March 13, 2014 (Edited) (Even my Author's Notes would be edited) 

Emerald's POV

"Wake up pets!" I could faintly hear the sweet voice of one of the loveliest people I’ve met throughout my whole lifetime. Stretching in my possibly chaotic tiny bed, I open my tired eyes to see what I see every single day I wake up. An unexciting snow white coloured wall that stretches not far, until it meets the other corner. A couple of posters would hang around, some pieces torn from the A3 coloured paper.

"Good morning Emerald. Had a good night sleep?" Her name is Maya, one of the workers who help to take care of children like me. Like a daily morning routine, I shake my head in response to her overused question.

"Just hang in there." She smiles in return before she quickly ushers me to take a quick shower even though I have already showered yesterday night. Rushing, and almost tripping to get to the bathroom first, I took a simple florescent pink tee shirt with the word ‘smile’ on it, simple black shorts and my undergarments before I head for the showers.

But as always, a big line for the bathroom is already in place and I have to wait for the usual 20 minutes before it's my turn to get rid of the germs that has touched me in my sleep. The twenty minutes have passed by quickly, and soon I am scrubbing myself clean. Everything I do here is a routine, such as I was dressing up. It was the usual deserted changing room for the reason that the other kids must be in the cafeteria now, waiting for breakfast to be served.

By the time I take my habitual place in the cafeteria, everyone is already chatting away, excited for another ‘glorious’ day cooped up inside the building, if not, bound by the high gates that surrounds the large building.

"Breakfast is ready!" I listen to the chef say. He is not as nice as per Maya. No one in this child’s care center –as they like to call it- is as nice as Maya, but even though she is lovely, I still took a long time to trust her. Knowing her for three years, I only started to have an actual conversation with her two years ago.

"Good morning girls, now eat up quickly, we have a guest." The possessor of this unexciting building says despite the fact that she still has a spoonful of oatmeal in her mouth. "Who is it?" One of the overly phony girls here asks as I roll my eyes and took half a spoonful of my oatmeal.

"They want to adopt someone." She simply tells us all, finish with her plate. She stands up and gives us a look that clearly says that if we mess up, we would get twice the amount of chores we would usually have.

Girls and boys are not permitted to blend, thus the fact that I only get to see girls. The boys are located in the west side of the building, very distant from where we are situated which is in the east side.

Maya sits down to my right and start to eat this revolting but nutritious meal. I don’t like oatmeal due to the bland taste so I make sure that I have extra portions of sugar than the rest.

"Do you have an idea who the visitor is?" Barely a whisper, I ask her. No one else is sat on the table that I unofficially proclaimed to be mine. I am not the best person to be friends with, and neither do I try to make effort to be comrades with someone so that leads me to be the lonesome girl.

Maya looked around the spacious and well-kept room. As much as I hate doing chores, we are ordered every day to clean at the minimum of two excruciating hours. "Don't tell anyone okay?" She whispered quietly. I already know her request would be obeyed because of my lack of ability to make friends or any other contact with anyone.