Chapter 21. An even more sly devil

Emily

To say that the tension during dinner was bad is an understatement. I couldn't even see Keiran, or Kathy for that matter, eye to eye! It was that bad.

And when Kathy started talking about babies, it all went spiraling downhill. Kayden couldn't help but snicker at my side! It's like he enjoys it all too much. And I thought he was on my side.

As soon as dinner was finished, I was quick to retreat to my room. I didn't even bother to help Keiran with the dishes. No way am I gonna stay with him in one room, just the two of us.

Now, I know for a fact that Keiran likes to sleep in only his boxers while Kayden prefers to wear a white t-shirt and boxers. Kai also likes to sleep with socks on. It was adorable since he'd put on socks that weren't even in pairs!

"Jaye?" Keiran calls out from behind the doors.

I locked the door purposely so that he couldn't get in.

"Yes?" I answer from inside.

"Let me in." He says. Although I could clearly tell he was annoyed.

What did I do now?

"No." I say bluntly.

"Let me in Jaye!" He says, as his patience finally dissolves.

"No." I say it again one more time, just because I can. He's not getting his way, not today, not ever.

I hear him sigh loudly from the outside and finally give up. "Just don't lock the door when you sleep okay? So when you have nightmares again, I'll be able to come." He says in a final tone before I hear footsteps going away, and the door from the other room close.

I feel happiness cursing through my body as I process what he just said. He's so sweet without him knowing it. He may be a bad boy but he's a softy at heart.

I slowly tiptoed to the door and unlocked it silently.

I tiptoed back and lied down the bed and let sleep consume me, considering I lack sleep these past days.

××××

The dance was tomorrow which meant the school body was as busy as a bee. The student council was making preparations here and there and everyone seemed to be in a jovial mood. Everyone, except Keiran.

He was slouching in his seat with his group of friends in the cafeteria. He seemed so fascinated in the apple he was playing with. I looked at his group of friends and eyed them one by one.

There was Laiken Phillips, the school's quarterback. He was laughing at something Chase Howard was saying.

He doubled over laughing and the soda he was drinking splurted about everywhere earning him glares and groans from the people around the table. He's such a dork, that much I could see. He didn't even seemed fazed by his actions as he just wiped the remnants of the soda using the back of his hand. Meanwhile, Chase seemed to be proud of the achievement he did - making Laiken splutter his drink.

Then there's Chase Howard. He is the school's golden boy. Straight A student, pretty boy look, and clean rep. Not even a single detention. His family is one of the sponsors in the Fall Dance, seeing as they're really loaded. And by really loaded, I mean millionaire loaded. Howard's Industries is a booming modelling industry. And he's really easy on the eyes too. Although he's used to the attention, so I get why he's unfazed by the oogling girls practically begging at his feet. He's that good looking.

Lindsey Walker on the other hand had to practically work her way up the chain. During middle school, she was the chubby girl with braces and pimples.