Chapter 18. The Art of Faking It.

Emily

I was still halfway from finishing the cup when the two elderly couple suddenly approached us. "Keiran." The elderly woman called out dearly.

"Hi Mrs. T." He smiles up at her.

Judging by the glares Mr. Taylor was giving him, it was clear he didn't like the way his wife succumbed to Keiran's charm.

I chuckled at the sight and instantly regret the moment I ever made a sound as Mrs. Taylor's attention fixed on me.

Someone doesn't look happy.

"Who might this pretty young lady be?" She says with a sickly sweet smile as if trying not to offend Keiran.

"I'm Emily." I say, finally finding my voice.

"Are you a friend of Keiran?" She asks. I wasn't supposed to get offended but damn, I did. Keiran's never referred me as such.

"I-"

"She's my girlfriend Mrs. T." Keiran cuts me off with a sickly sweet smile of his own. And although the word girlfriend surprised me I couldn't help but wonder why are they lying to each other?

"Oh. Is that so?" She asks with a genuine surpised look on her face.

"But.." I faltered when Keiran looks at me with a glare that could kill.

"Right, babe?" He winks a suggestive wink at me and I fake a smile at him.

"And here I thought I could pair you up with Chloe." Her face falls at the thought of me and Keiran together.

Wait, pair him with who?

"Pair you with whom?" I asked Keiran.

Mrs. Taylor must've thought I was jealous cause she responded for him. "Oh, my lovely niece, Chloe. She's a year younger than you guys are but she's pretty and young and she's definitely a looker." Mrs. Taylor boasts eyeing up Keiran and I's reaction.

"Honey, apologize. You're offending the pretty lady." Mr. Taylor finally speaks up and thank god he did. Mrs. Taylor's words struck a chord.

I know I'm not prettier than most girls in my year. I'm a nerd, I don't have a good fashion sense, and I'm definitely not a looker. But I am what I am right now because I really don't give a damn about what other people think of me. They can say what they want but they can't change who I am.

"Oh, why, I didn't mean to offend you." She says trying to make it sound genuine but I know it was far from it.

"It's alright Mr. and Mrs. Taylor. I know what I am and what I am not, but I won't try and change myself just to please other people. My mom taught me that, and I'm glad she did." I say smiling genuinely towards the kind old man who spoke kindly towards me.

"Well, I'm also glad your mom taught you to be a kind hearted woman with dignity. Call me Robert. This is my wife Melinda. She's kind but cranky at times." He smiles fondly at me.

"I am not cranky Robert!" Melinda smacks his arm jokingly.

I'm beginning to like Mr. Taylor.

"Why don't the two of you join us, together? Come here babe. Let them sit down and eat ice cream with us." Keiran says sweetly. Too sweet for my liking.

"Oh. That would be nice. Supposing we're the only people in the store." Melinda says.

I grudgingly sat beside Keiran as a fake smile plasters on our face.

The art of faking it.

His hands snakes in to my waist and I stiffen at the contact. He scoots closer to me and whispers silently in my ear, "Relax or they'll find out we're really not together. I hate Chloe. She's too inappropriate for her age."