3 | Mission To Alderaan

Luke looked up at the girl as she placed a cup of water in front of him. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. It isn't everyday that we have a guest." She smiled, taking a seat across from him.
Luke cleared his throat. "How do you know old Ben?"
The girl smiled. "Ben took me in when I was three. My parents were killed in a landing accident.. He's like a Father to me." She explained.
Luke frowned. "I'm sorry."
She shrugged. "I don't remember much of my real parents. Ben's been here for me ever since."

Speaking of Ben, he was sitting on the floor in front of Artoo, forcing him to play the hologram.

"Sir if you don't mind, I will be shutting down for a while." C-3PO said, watching as Luke nodded.

The girl crossed her arms over her broad chest. "You're really lucky to be alive, Luke. Old Ben here was hoping you weren't torn to pieces."
Luke looked up at the girl with hopeful eyes. "What is your name?" He asked her.

The girls blue eyes met his once again. "Marina Alitta, but I beg you politely to call me Mara."
Luke nodded. "Mara."

Ben hit the top of R2's head, trying to get the jammed hologram to play. R2 beeped, and the blue hologram appeared.

Luke and Mara quickly dropped to the floor next to old Ben, and watched as the girl appeared.

"General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars, now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request in person, but my ship as fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 Unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."

Ben scratched at his beard as Mara and Luke exchanged glances.

"You must learn the ways of the Force, if you are to come with me to Alderaan."
"Alderaan? I'm not going to Alderaan."
"Are you not up for an adventure?" Mara asked, trying to prevent Luke from not going.
"I have to get home! I'm in for it as it is!" He said, standing to his feet quickly as he remembered. "It was good seeing you again, Ben!"

Ben looked over at Mara; the girl he considered his own daughter.

"He has so much of his father in him."

***

Curiosity filled Luke's mind as a dark single line of smoke filled the air as he drove closer to his home. His eyes widened at the sight of his home nearly on the ground as it burned.

"No!" He yelled, running across the sandy space.

He searched for any sign of Owen and Beru, only breathing in the smoke. He choked on a cough as he looked around, freezing as he spotted something.

Two bodies laid on the sand, down to the bones. Luke felt his body grow numb, although tears weren't streaming down his face.

The Empire did this, and they will pay for it! Luke thought.

As Luke's speeder came to a stop outside of old Ben's den, him and Mara walked outside, along with the two droids he had left with the two.

"They're gone." Luke said blankly, causing Ben to sigh.

"It was the Empire." He replied as he placed his hand on the boy's shoulder. "You must come with us, Luke."

Luke looked over the old Hermit's shoulder, staring directly at Mara. She smiled faintly at him, and he exhaled.

"I'm ready when you are."