18 | Freeze

Darth Vader walked around the circular platform as a creature worked on the pipes below. He examined the creature's progress, seeing soft smoke fill the lower chamber.

"This facility's crude, but it should be to freeze Skywalker's journey to The Emperor." Vader said as he stepped towards Lando.

An Imperial Officer ran towards Vader, almost breathless. "Lord Vader! Ship approaching, the X-Wing Class."

"Good." Vader said. "Monitor Skywalker and allow him to land."

Lando followed Darth Vader as be turned to walk away. "Lord Vader, we only use this facility for freezing. You put him in there, it might kill him." Lando said as he pointed at the freezer below them.
"I do not want the Emperor's prize damaged." Vader began. "We will test it.. On Captain Solo."

Lando stood in shock as Vader turned away to retrieve Han.

***

Luke flied through the clouds of Bespin as Mara looked over at him. "I have a bad feeling about this."
Luke didn't say anything as he continued to fly towards their destination.

Han, Leia and Chewbacca followed the guards as they lead them to the facility.
"If only you could attach my legs, I wouldn't have this ridiculous view!"
Chewbacca ignored the droid as he followed the others.

Han stood handcuffed as Darth Vader made his way down to them. His hissed breathing caused Leia to shutter, and Chewie moaned.
Han leaned forward to Lando who stood in front of him. "What's going on, Buddy?"
Lando swallowed. "You're being put into Carbon freeze."

Boba Fett turned to Vader. "What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."
Vader looked at his masked friend. "The Empire with confiscate you if he dies. Put him in."

Chewbacca roared and pushed the nearest Storm Trooper over the edge, it's scream echoing.
"Chewie!" Han yelled, trying to control the Wookiee.
"Chewie stop!" He demanded in a loud tone.
"Hey! HEY!" He yelled, Chewbacca looking down at his bestfriend.

"Listen to me! The Princess. You have to take care of her."
Leia moved towards the Wookiee, locking her arm with his.
"You hear me?"
He moaned a low moan as he looked down at Han sadly.

Han and Leia looked at each other, and they both leaned in for their last kiss, knowing it could be long before they meet again.

The Storm Troopers separated the two as they pushed Han towards the Carbon Freezer.

As they continued to stare at each other, Leia felt tears form in her eyes. "I love you."
Han pressed his lips together as a very faint smile formed. "I know."

As the platform lowered, Leia leaned into Chewie as Han began to disappear. His eyes hadn't left hers until he was fully out of sight.

She looked away once the steam fogged the air, burying her face in the Wookie's fur. He cried aloud as the freezer hissed.

As the machine above lifted Han's freeze compartment, the outline of the Smugglers body came into view. Tears escaped Leia's eyes as she stared at the face of her lover.

Lando leaned down and examined the small scan on the side of the compartment. He seen the temperature, and if he was still alive.

"Well Calrissian? Did he survive?" Vader asked.
"Yes, He's alive." He answered. "And he's in perfect hibernation."

Vader turned to Boba Fett. "He is all yours, Bounty Hunter."
Boba nodded.
"Reset the chamber for Skywalker." Vader demanded.

The same Imperial Officer walked towards Vader. "Skywalker just landed, Lord Vader."
"Good, see to it that he finds his way here."

Leia looked up at Chewie, who made a scruffing sound.

Leia tried to pull away as Lando grabbed her arm. "Calrissian," Vader called. "Take the Princess and the Wookiee to my ship."

"You said they would left in the city under my supervision." Lando argued.

"I am ordering the deeds. Pray I don't operate any further."

And with that, Vader walked up the metal stair case and towards the exit, leaving Leia to continued to stare at Han's frozen body.