8 | Gone

"What took you so long?" Han asked as Mara and Luke ran up to him breathlessly.
Mara looked at Luke. "We ran into some old friends."

Han looked out from the wall. "We've got company."

A group of Storm Troopers stood in front of the Falcon, waiting for any intruders.
Leia peeked her head out, her brow creased. "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

The Storm Troopers ran towards the opposite direction as something caught their attention.
"Go!" Han hissed, pushing Leia ahead of him.

Luke and Mara followed them, only to stop when they noticed two bright lights at the corner of their eyes.

Mara's eyes widened at the sight of Ben dueling with Darth Vader.

"Ben?" Luke asked.

Ben looked up from the scene in front of him, and he smiled at the two. He looked towards Mara, smiling.

He turned off his lightsaber, and closed his eyes.

That's where it all went wrong.

Darth Vader swung his lightsaber across the room, right through Ben. His cloak and lightsaber hilt fell to the floor, leaving Mara to freeze.

"NO!" She and Luke screamed.
Mara began to shoot violently at the Troopers that had turned to them, beginning to shoot at the five. She could see Vader still there, using his foot to pat down the cloak of Ben.

As the trooper army increased, Luke grabbed Mara's hand and dragged her onto the Falcon. The droids quickly hurried on, and the ramp went up with a quick hiss.

                                       ***

Mara felt numb as she stayed seated inside of the Falcon's lounge. Tears stung in her eyes as they fell down her face.

A soft, warm blanket was placed over her shoulders. She looked up to see Luke.

"I can't believe he's gone." Mara cried. Luke placed his hand on her shoulder, rubbing it gently.

"I'm so sorry."

Leia appeared in the walk way, looking at Mara. "Is there anything you need?"
Mara shook her head. "I don't need anything. Thank you."
She nodded before walking off.

What am I doing? Mara thought. Ben would be disappointed for me to have them giving me sympathy.

She stood up, still holding the blanket around her.
"You should rest." Luke said to her.
"I don't want to." She confessed. "I need to keep myself busy from thinking about Ben. He was like my Father."

The two walked towards the cockpit, and Han and Chewie looked at her. "I'm sorry about your friend." He said.
Mara nodded.

Han stood up as he looked out the window, grabbing Luke's shoulder. "Come on, Kid! This isn't over yet!"
They ran towards the side turrets, and put on the head sets to communicate with each other.

"Are you ready?" Han asked.
"Do I really have a choice?"
"Good point, fire!"

The ship jolted side-to-side as the turrets shot off at the circling TIE Fighters. Mara stumbled, and Chewie grabbed her arms; preventing her from falling.
"Thanks, Chewie." She said, stroking the Wookiee's fur softly. He moaned a conversation, leaving Mara to smile.

"It's me and you for the moment, buddy." She said as she took a seat in Han's Pilot chair. "Three are coming in on you, Luke!"

On the other side of the Falcon, Luke moved side-to-side as he shot at the incoming targets. Han on the other hand, was struggling.

"Cover me!" He yelled as he yanked at different wires. His turret came to life once again, and he began to shoot.

"Four left." Luke shouted, focusing on the Fighters. As two twisted towards his wing, he fired.

The TIE Fighter's exploded into dust before his eyes.
Running back to the cockpit, Leia hugged Han as Mara wrapped her arms around Luke's neck, him squeezing her tightly to him.
"You're a great pilot." She said to him as they pulled away.

"We could use you." Leia offered.

Han and Luke looked at each other, grinning.