Chapter 39 - Back Together?

Olivia, Stefan's mother had asked Kara to take care of Stefan. It was odd in her opinion. That woman knew everything that Kara had done to her son. She should hate her, not asking for her help.

It was that day after she called Olivia that Stefan had woken up, she came immediately with the rest of his family to check on her son and spoke to Dr Lee about Stefan's condition.

Olivia was so happy seeing her son that finally opened his eyes. She cried while hugging him and only stepped away after he complained that his ribs hurt.

So much for the happy moment, Kara couldn't be there with them. She watched them from the window of his room that facing the main corridor, hiding behind the vertical blinds that only half opened.

She was too scared to show up in front of him after Doctor Lee told her about Stefan's amnesia.

His memory stuck in the past right after he yelled at her in her office when he found out about her stealing his research. And he had been so cold to her after, kept the conversation to the minimum. She was lucky that he didn't kick her out from the room. Obviously his gentleman side of him was still intact.

His memory stayed in the past, a year ago and a lot had been happening since then. Kara didn't know whether she should laugh or cry.

She was upset with the bad news but she was also hopeful. It was like she got a second chance presented in front of her eyes to make amend of her sin to him.

Their first encounter hadn't been smooth. Stefan had been so cold to her, being sarcastic to her on daily basis and didn't show much sympathy whatsoever. He was basically hated her till they got married. She didn't know how but he had changed into a warm caring man that she liked. She believed that Stefan could be that nice again, she just had to try harder to win him over.

And perhaps with a little luck she could make him fall in love with her and forgot about his initial plan of leaving her.

No!

She couldn't do that. What if his memory didn't come back? Wouldn't it be a crime to trick him to fell for a woman that he shouldn't fall for?

And what if his memory came back? He would leave her again. She wouldn't be able to suffer another heartache. She knew she wouldn't survive.

Besides, taking advantage of a sick man wasn't a noble thing to do, not even for a witch like her.

She cringed when she heard her called herself a witch. She wasn't proud of what she did to him....

"Kara... " Olivia walked out the room and touched her shoulder.

"Olivia." Her mother in law startled her.

"Why are you here? Come inside and talk to Stefan." She said.

"No, I am okay. It's the family's turn to talk to him." Kara shook her head refusing Olivia invitation.

"Oh Honey, don't be silly, you are family too...." Olivia came closer and held her hands, "It's okay. Come inside. I know you want to see him."

"I can see him from here Olivia, I am okay, thank you."

Olivia stared at Kara's hesitate face and she understood. She sat on the bench right outside Stefan's room and tapped the space next to her asking Kara to sit.

"I know what's going on Kara. Stefan told me everything the day when he left you." Olivia opened a conversation.

Kara ducked her head, embarrassed by her wrong doing toward Stefan. She wished she knew how nice Angelopoulos was, and not just trusting her grandpa. She wouldn't blackmail Stefan and dragged him into her mess. "I am sorry...." She whispered her apology but Olivia shook her head.