Twenty Three

"Luis, I'm sorry."

There was an unreadable expression written all over his face as he stood across Lauren with his eyebrows furrowed deeply, his hands clenching tightly on his sides. She didn't quite know what to do or say next for the time being but stare down on the black tiled floors with her hands nervously playing with the hem of her shirt. The air was a thick full of tension and an uncomfortable silence, not one sound being made other than their breathing. Lauren wanted to walk out of there as soon as possible but she knew that wouldn't have been a good idea especially when she wanted them to end in good terms.

Finally, Luis opened his mouth to speak after what seemed to be an hour. "Why?"

Lauren knew the reason why, but telling your ex that the reason you broke up with them was because you like someone else is just pure heartbreaking. Though, she didn't want to lie either.

But before she could speak, Luis continued. "Is it because of her?"

There was a venom and anger edged to his voice that Lauren even flinched at and she knew exactly who he was talking about but never knew how he knew. Was it that obvious?

Lauren decided to go with a nod of her head. "I did everything to make you happy!"

"I'm sorry." Lauren muttered and her eyes instantly shot up when she suddenly heard a crash. She never imagined this would happen nor did she imagine things would go smoothly. Luis looked enraged, pacing around the room while he runs his hand through his hair in anger. She knew saying sorry wouldn't change how Luis felt right now and she knew he was hurt but she wasn't too sure which of him is hurt.

His heart or his ego?

She figured it was both.

"Why did you see in her that you didn't see in me?"

Everything. Camila was just so different from Luis and she felt insanely guilty for leading him on. Sure, they had been dating for a few months but falling in love could be sudden or takes time which Lauren had come into conclusion just a few days ago. Even if it wasn't love, Luis was still obviously hurt.

"You'll regret ever breaking up with me, Lauren. You'll see."

The Latina just sighed and looked down, shaking her head. She can't believe he was threatening her or some sort.

However, she felt like a bird being freed from a cage after being trapped for months.

//

Lauren stood outside on Camila's porch, her hand lifted up to knock softly on the door. She didn't know how long she had been standing there but once a certain brown eyed girl swung the door open with a worried look plastered on her face, Lauren immediately lunged herself towards her for a much needed tight embrace.

Camila was taken a back by the sudden movement and almost lost her balance, clutching her hand tightly onto the doorknob to refrain them from falling over. A sharp pain shot throughout her whole arm as she did so, sucking her teeth on her bottom lip to prevent any sound that indicates she was in pain from escaping her lips but at the same time, she felt comfortable and safe wrapped around Lauren's arms. It had worried her after seeing through the window, the tears streaming down on Lauren's cheeks which made her immediately run downstairs to open the door despite her body protesting.

She had no clue as to what had happened to her and she didn't know if Lauren would ever tell her. They had been starting to get close once again and she had a small hope that Lauren would eventually tell her.

They both stayed on their positions, wrapped on each other's arms for quite a long time in silence. Thoughts from earlier before Lauren arrived came back like a bullet being shot towards her.