Chapter 21 : Stuned by the stone

No. That's not it. That's still not the right code. Though I already know what's going to happen - it means the fifth laboratory events - I accepted to try to decode the... Code because Edward asked me to. He said it was a good exercise as an alchemist, so I just nodded and began to help, under his orders of course. Sheska is now working for Hughes. As the library was completely burnt, all the files belonging to the army disappeared with the building, and, fortunately, the bookworm read it. So she completely remembers them. I sigh and rub my forehead with the palm of my right hand, removing the sweat forming on my face. It's hot and sunny, and we are stuck in a room to find the secret of the Philosopher's stone, so horrible even Dr Marcoh is scared of it. I look at the two brothers. Edward is laying on the couch, his soul escaping from his body, and Alphonse is next to him. He can't be tired, but it has been a long time they are on it, and his mind might be exhausted. Then Edward stands up, determination showing in his golden eyes.

-Alright, let's finish that quickly. We'll break the code for sure!

I smile and look back at the papers in front of me thinking and writing notes down another paper.

-Sensei, I've found something! I exclaim a little after.

-Great! Hold on Jane!

-Mmh! I nod before looking down again.

***

It is night and we all sigh, looking at the notes. Then their eyes widen, finally realizing what they wrote during all the researches.

-No way!! That can't be.... Edward begins.

-The stone... Alphonse continues.

My professor hits the wall of the hotel with his fist so hardly all the building shakes and we both jump of surprise with his brother. The door burst opens and Ross and Brosh enter suddenly, panicked.

-What's wrong sir?? Ross asks.

-We've finally found with what the stone is made.... my professor growls.

-And? Isn't that a good new?

-No.... Not at all... It's made.... With human lives...

Their eyes widen too as they look at each other, not understanding. Then Edward comes toward them and tries to push them out.

-Forget eveything, you've never heard me say this.

-But there must be another way to get it.... Maria Ross proposes.

He nods weakly and I take a map, putting it in front of us. I have to bring them to the Fifth laboratory lead.

-Let's focus on all the scientific places of the town, I say pointing the laboratories.

After a little time searching, Edward points the Fifth laboratory.

-It's next to the jail. What the hell is a laboratory doing here??

-Plus, is not used anymore... Maria notes a hand under her chin.

-Then... Can they possibly use the prisonners as material for the stone?

-That's more than probable... I declare thinking.

-But hey, you come from a world where you know everything about us, why didn't you tell about the stone?? Edward asks a bit angrily.

I look down guiltily.

-Sorry sensei.... It's just that.... It's funny to do as if I don't know... It's like I really live your adventures and all....

He looks at me surprisingly before sighing and patting my head making me raise my eyes at him.

-It's okay.... I can't blame you after all...

I tear up and hug him tightly.

-Th-thank you!! I-I'm sorry for hi-hidding you the tr-truth!! I stutter.

He sighs again, hugging back patting my head as if I am a little girl.

-Then you plan to pretend to not know anything about our adventures? Alphonse asks.

I shake my head, still crying a little.

-N-no, of course I will help you when you'll need... But I don't wanna reveal you everything... To not disturb the adventures....

Edward looks at me and I shed my tears awkwardly, looking down.

-So, is it a good idea to go to the Fifth lab?

I think a little and nod, taking my chin between two fingers remembering all the events that would happen if the two brothers step in this lab.

-You have to. A lot of things will be revealed, though you'll get a nice trip in the hospital...

He winces a little, meaning he isn't so happy about going to the hospital again. But he quickly understands he doesn't have the choice.

-Fine, we'll go then.

***

We come down the window discreetly, quietly, to not be seen by the two bodyguards who forbade us to go, but Edward being... Edward, what means as stubborn as an old grandpa, he opened the door and jumped out of the window, and Alphonse and me are actually following him in his silly plan. But that, I knew it from the beginning, so I wouldn' complain right? We run toward the Fifth lab and Edward climbs onto the high door to open it and we go after him. Oh, I forgot, about my automail leg, I can walk a little, but not too much, so I'm currently worried to be a burden in the laboratory...

-Careful Jane!! Alphonse shouts as he catches me.

I wince holding a little my leg looking up at him.

-I'm okay...

-Wah!! Sorry be brought you here and we completely forgot you were learning to walk with your automail!!

I chuckle trying to stand up again.

-It's fine, I wanted to come anyway. I'm just worried.... What if I am a burden....?

Edward turns around glaring at me, then comes and takes me by my collar.

-Listen, if you're here now, it's because you're not a burden. Got it? Got it.

I nod and we continue our way to the entrance. There, Alphonse helps his brother to climb to an air supply and he curses about being so short he can easily go into this kind of passage. I laugh and he proposes me to follow him. I nod hesitantly as he holds me a hand that I take before following him in the dark ventilation system. I won't hide I'm kinda scared, the enemies waiting for us are powerful, and I know it. I just hope we'll still be alive if I go with him....

//Yo my veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery dear readers!! You know what you know what? We reached over the 600 views and I'm soooooooooooo happy about it!! *crying* wait, i'm crying? No i'm not!! Just.... it's too beautiful for me!!! Thank youuuuuuuu!!!!!