Chapter 11: Strange Company

I had been unexpectedly summoned by Lord Khanar just after the battle begun. I was now in his tent, along with around twelve of his officers. I had waited while they were given orders, slightly confused as to why I was there. After all, I wasn't an officer. But it was soon revealed to me.
"Rukil," Lord Khanar said as he turned to face me. "Captain Urdùn told me of your valor during the ambush at Dagorlad. It's rare to see such leadership... So I have chosen you to lead a special mission." At this he leaned over the table and unfolded a paper, which had a rough map of the city drawn onto it.

"The wall that we are currently facing is tall, and very thick. We would be able to breach it, but it would take time. And we do not have time, as each hour we tarry here the chance of Gondorian reinforcements arriving increases. However, our scouts have told us that the western wall is weak... In fact, it is made of wood." He pointed to the western part of the city, where a thin line represented the wall. "A culvert runs through it that lets the Entwash flow through. This culvert is covered by a metal grate. The metal grate is designed to keep boats out... However, an individual soldier could slip through easily enough." He locked eyes with me.

"That is your task. You will sneak in through the grate at nightfall and open the main gate of the East wall. Our soldiers will be waiting to strike and move in. I trust you and you alone to lead the force infiltrating the city. And I trust you to pick three good men to accompany you."

I saluted. "I won't let you down sir."

Lord Khanar smiled and picked up his battle-worn helmet from the table. "That's why I chose you Rukil. Now go! Choose your companions, and choose wisely."

===============================

I picked my way carefully through the battle lines, making sure to stay behind the archers who fired periodically at the walls of Cair Sirion. Catapults had been hastily constructed by the engineers, and these too were firing upon the enemy. The rocks fired from them were first drenched in oil and then lit on fire. They launched the flaming rounds over the walls in an attempt to burn the city, and it was clear that their attempts weren't entirely in vain. Occasional cries of agony came from the city, and as I glanced toward it I saw thick black smoke wafting up from behind the walls.

Although I was fascinated, yet somewhat horrified by the spectacle, I forced myself to focus on my task. Right now that was finding Hadar. 

I had decided that he and Brand would be excellent choices to accompany me on my mission, as they were the only men that I truly trusted.

I assumed Hadar was with the rest of the mercenaries... And I was correct. They weren't at all hard to find, either.

Unlike the Lòke-Rim, who stood at silent attention, the mercenaries were laughing loudly, and they seemed to be rolling dice of some sort. Several of them looked up as I approached.

   "What're you doin outta formation Easterling? Get lost?" A small, skinny Haradrim warrior asked. He had a ring through his nose and was completely bald. His large ears and long crooked nose made me think of a rat.

"No, I'm looking for someone," I said firmly, trying to sound in charge.

"Well ya best be lookin somewhere else," the skinny man said, stepping closer to me. I glared down at him, not even slightly intimidated. I called his bluff; He was merely trying to act tough around his friends.

As if on cue Hadar appeared from behind several other mercenaries, grinning and holding a pouch of coins in his hand which he quickly stuffed into his pocket.

"Paresh, lay off! He's a friend of mine!" Hadar shoved the runt out of the way as he approached and looked at me quizzically.

"I need you to help me with something," I said vaguely. I wasn't sure how secret our mission was, but despite me not giving details Hadar seemed to understand and nodded.

"Count me in," he said with a grin.

"I'm in too," a quiet voice said from behind me. I turned in surprise to see the mysterious man from the camp standing there, the claw-like blades on his hands silently clicking as he ran his thumb and forefinger together. He wore a red and blue scarf that covered his head and face, but his green eyes still shone unnervingly in the twilit dark. Seeing him now so close to me, I realized he was tall. Taller than me. I also noticed the strange, foreign-looking daggers at his sides.
I glanced uncertainly back at Hadar. He shrugged.

"Your name?" I asked, turning back to face the strange man.

"I have no name," he murmured. "But some call me Fox."

"Where do you hail from, Fox?" I wanted to gain as much information about him as I could... I didn't trust him.

   "Where I come from does not concern you. Only my ability to fight," he said, his voice devoid of any accent that I could discern.

   "Then no, you can't come," I said sharply, turning away. What made him think I'd let him? Suddenly I felt a hand on my arm that roughly spun me around to face him again.

   "I have orders from Lord Khanar. He has ordered you to let me come."

   "I'll ask him for myself," I asserted.

   "No need. I have a written missive here." He pulled out a piece of parchment. It bore Lord Khanar's seal. I sighed in resignation. Although I was somewhat confused that Khanar hadn't mentioned this stranger, there wasn't much I could do now. 

   "Very well. But you're under my orders when we're in the field. Understand?" I narrowed my eyes at Fox.

   "Perfectly well... Sir." He said the words monotonously, clicking his claws together unnervingly.

   "Hadar, do you know where Brand is?" I asked, turning to face the burly Haradrim.

   "Yes, I'll go retrieve him," Hadar said with a salute and trotted off toward the army.

   Fox and I both stood in silence, sizing each other up. Something about the man unsettled me... But I couldn't quite put a finger on what.

   Hadar returned a moment later with Brand in tow. The blond man was dressed in the armor of the Lòke-Rim, minus the helmet. I understood why he didn't like wearing it; it was hot and heavy.

   "Alright you three, follow me," I said, glancing at each of them in turn. I didn't trust Fox, but even if I didn't I trusted the other two, and I could keep an eye on the stranger easily enough.
   Hadar nodded in agreement, and as one the four of us plunged forward into the darkness.

===============================