Chapter 29: The Face of Fear

Hadar slowly awoke, immediately feeling pain at the back of his head. He groaned and opened his eyes slowly, taking in his surroundings. He appeared to be in the barn that he had earlier taken shelter in, and his hands were tied to a sturdy beam behind him. The only other occupant of the barn now was a dark haired girl, perhaps twenty-five or so in age. She wore a frown and brandished a thick oaken staff.

   "Awake? Good," She said in an annoyed voice. "Mother, the thief is awake!"

   "I'll be there in a moment!" A distant voice said.

   "I'm not a thief!" Hadar exclaimed, pulling at his bonds in anger. "Let me go!"

   "You demanded all of our valuables. How are you not a thief?" The girl said matter-of-factly.

   "That's beside the point! Just let me go and we can pretend this never happened." He continued to struggle against the ropes.

   "But it did happen. You threatened my mother and my siblings were scared senseless."

   "That wasn't the intent..." Hadar said exasperatedly. He knew he was in quite a bad situation, since most likely the family would turn him over to the authorities.

   "Whether it was the intent or not doesn't matter. What matters is what you did," The girl said, crossing her arms.

   "Do I look like the type of person who would go around killing people for a bit of gold?" Hadar asked. He immediately regretted it, for he himself would answer with an emphatic 'yes' if he were being honest. He was tall, burly, and his Harad garb would certainly look barbaric to those unfamiliar with it. Not to mention he hadn't bathed in days, perhaps even weeks.

   "As a matter of fact, yes, you do," the girl replied, confirming Hadar's fears.

   "Well I wouldn't. I'm not a thug," He said.

   "Could've fooled me, barging into our home like that," the girl said, a sarcastic grin forming on her face.

   "I've had about enough of your sass..." Hadar said, rolling his eyes.

   "But you're the one tied up. It's not up to you to decide." The girl's eyes began to twinkle and she was grinning widely.

   "Then please, for the love of Eru let me go! No criminal deserves this!" Hadar said, to which the girl laughed. He admitted, he'd have been somewhat attracted to her were it not for her annoying personality.

   "I'm rather enjoying myself," she said, laughing more. Just then the mother entered, causing the girl to stop laughing.

   "Have you fed him? Bandaged his head?" She asked, to which the girl shook her head.

   "What did I tell you about helping people, Taryi?" The mother shook her head and left, returning a moment later with a bowl of soup and some bandage cloth.

   Taryi frowned and rolled her eyes. "That by helping people you show them kindness, and showing kindness makes the world a better place."

   "Exactly. Now be a good lass and bandage that wound on his head." The mother made her way to the beam behind Hadar, and cut the ropes. Hadar rubbed his wrists gratefully, and smiled kindly at the woman.

   "Thank you. I apologize that I attempted to steal from you, it was wrong of me."

   "It was indeed wrong, but your apology is accepted. However, I fear that we must turn you in to the authorities..."

   "No, don't do that!" Hadar exclaimed, raising his hands in the air. Taryi immediately lifted her staff, seemingly eager to attack.

   "Put that down!" The mother reprimanded, putting a hand on her daughter's shoulder. Taryi lowered the staff, but continued to eye Hadar carefully.