Chapter 20: Help In Strange Places

We arrived at Faramir's encampment just as the sun sunk below the treeline. It was in a small valley that hid it from prying eyes, and I didn't see it until we had almost entered it. The tents were covered with leaves and branches, cleverly made to look like tall shrubs. The fire pits were small and covered by small lean-to's that kept the smoke from rising too high into the sky. As we walked through the camp rangers emerged from their tents, looking in astonishment at me and my companions. I'm sure we made a strange looking trio.

"My tent is this way," Faramir said as he motioned toward a larger tent. We followed him into the green canvas structure, which was much nicer than I had expected. It was well lit by several lamps, and animal furs covered the ground. Several carved wooden chairs sat around a large table with a map on it, as well as a small wine shelf. Faramir walked directly to the table and we stood around it, waiting for someone to speak. I had expected him to, but when he didn't after several moments of silence I spoke up.

"As you may know, my people attacked your forces at Cair Sirion. You barely repelled us, and even then it took most of your army."

Faramir nodded. "But we did succeed. We are ill prepared for much more than that, however."

"You must prepare then. That was little more than a vanguard. Lord Khanar was sent with the most elite regiment in Rhun's army, but that was only a fraction of our full strength."

"We feared as much... But that does little to explain why you are here now." 

At this point Caledorn interrupted. "Rukil was at Cair Sirion, he fought you there and at your ambush before. He spared your life."

Faramir's eyes widened. "So you were the warrior at Dagorlad. I am in your debt for sparing me." He bowed slightly.

"My reason for mentioning it was not so that you would thank him, but so you would see that he is a good man. He was fighting for the wrong cause then, but he isn't now." Caledorn glanced over at me, and I nodded in thanks.

"What cause then are you fighting for?" Faramir asked.

"In my homeland I am royalty. My brother was given the throne, but if he is defeated my claim to rulership of my tribe would be just. He fights under the Red Eye of Sauron, along with many other leaders. But the Khan himself is not completely loyal to Sauron, and even now Sauron plans to supplant him with a loyal leader. Civil war is brewing in Rhun, and now is the best time to act. If Rhun were to free itself from Sauron's grasp Gondor would have a better chance of defending itself."

Faramir didn't respond, and he seemed lost in thought. I realized that the situation probably seemed foreign to a Gondorian such as Faramir. The concept of so many different leaders within one nation surely was odd, but I had never given it much thought. It had been normal to me my whole life.

"If Rukil succeeds, we will have allies in the East instead of enemies," Caledorn said. 

Faramir finally looked up. "Whatever aid I can give, I will do so gladly." 

"We need only safe passage through your lands." I replied.

"You don't need soldiers?" 

"Not Gondorian soldiers. Their loyalties are here, and you need all the able men you can get to defend your own borders."

"You're right. But at the very least I will give you supplies. And horses if you need them."

"The supplies would be much appreciated. We have horses in the forest though, they will suffice."

At this Hadar spoke for the first time. "My men and I will need horses."

Faramir's eyes narrowed as he studied the burly warrior. "I offered them to him, not you. I still do not know your purpose."

Hadar looked over at me with a devilish grin. "Rukil needed soldiers, did he not? I have nearly a hundred men at my call."

"He can be trusted," I said in response to Faramir's dubious expression. "He's a good man."

"I doubt that a 'good man' would try to ambush and slaughter rangers of Gondor," he retorted.  

Hadar stood straight up, his muscles tensed. "I would never slaughter anyone without need. We were merely planning on taking your supplies."

Faramir snorted. "Chivalrous bandits, I presume? And what if we had resisted?" 

"If you had resisted it wouldn't have been slaughter," Hadar said brusquely.

"Enough!" I said, slamming my fist on the table and bringing everyone's attention to me. "You said you wanted to help, Ranger. If you meant that you'll supply his men with horses instead of bickering with him."

Faramir laughed mirthlessly. "Even if I wanted to, I can hardly spare a hundred horses. We don't even have that many." 

"How many can you spare then?" I asked.

"Thirty, at the most. My scouts need the rest." Faramir's expression softened. "I want to help you, don't misunderstand. But times are hard here as well, and I am reluctant to trust those who pillage our southern villages and harass our travelers on the road." He nodded toward Hadar.

"I assure you, not one drop of Gondorian blood has been spilled by me or my men. You have my word," Hadar said, putting a hand to his chest for emphasis.

"Then I apologize for my rough manners," Faramir said as he extended a hand, which Hadar shook with a smile.

"No apology is needed. If, on the journey southward, I can convince any of my brothers to forsake their war against you, I will do so."

Faramir returned the smile. "And I shall show mercy to those of your people who ask for it. I shall show you to the horses."

==============================================

We stayed at the camp of Faramir until the next morning, and set out at first light. Hadar's best men were given horses, and the rest were left behind to guard his camp. Faramir himself accompanied us to the border of the forest, where he bid us farewell.

"I wish you the best of luck in your quest, my friend. You have the blessing of Gondor." We embraced and he embraced Caledorn and Hadar as well. "To think that allies would be found among our age-old enemies... It has given me hope."

"Keep that hope close, it may be all you have in the days to come," I said as I mounted my horse.

"Thank you for your aid... And your friendship. May the road lead you to warm sands."

The rest of my company followed suit and mounted their steeds as well, and with a final salute to Faramir I led them away from the forest that had given us a welcome respite from the danger of the rest of the world.