Chapter 16: Into the City of Light

The great Elven city took my breath away. It was unlike anything I had ever seen, or even imagined. Gargantuan trees held large white platforms, and stairways wound around their massive trunks. Eery white light made the forest glow around them, and I could see the figures of elves ascending and descending the stairs, almost unnatural in their gracefulness.
"Galadriel awaits," Haldir said, and led me ahead towards the ethereal city. As we got closer the trees loomed overhead, and I had to crane my neck as far upward as I could just to be able to see the top of them.    
   As we approached many elves cast suspicious, yet at the same time curious, expressions at me. I must have looked quite out of place, in the full garb of the Lòke-Rim(minus the helmet, which I had gotten rid of as soon as I could).
   As if reading my thoughts, Haldir spoke up. "They rarely see Men in Lothlorien, let alone one of your people. You may well be the first Easterling that the Lady has let walk through the Wood unharmed."
   I nodded in understanding. I felt very out of place here, among such fair people as the elves. Even Haldir, who was clearly a warrior, was fairer than any Easterling. My dark hair and dark complexion made me stand out even more.
"Where does the Lady reside?" I asked, partly out of curiosity and partly to avoid the awkwardness I felt.
"Up there," Haldir pointed up to the largest of the tree platforms, which I later learned were called flets by the elves. "You may grow tired on the way there, we must ascend many flights of stairs."
At this he pulled out a piece of waybread. "Eat this, it should keep you from getting exhausted as quickly."
Since I hadn't eaten since the battle, I quickly stuffed the bread into my mouth. It was sweet like honey, and not at all dry like I was expecting it to be. I hadn't ever tasted anything quite like it before.
"What is this?" I asked Haldir after I had eaten most of it.
"It's called cram. It was made first by Men, but we have learned to make it as well. It's sustaining for long journeys."
I continued to chew on the cram I had left as we began to ascend the stairs. They were white, and seemed to glow with a light of their own. Neither Haldir nor I spoke the entire way up the stairs, and Rumil trailed behind us in silence. It almost seemed like a procession, elves occasionally watching us as we made our way up.
When we reached the main flet, we were stopped by a tall blond elf with a spear. He glared at me in suspicion, then gave Haldir a strange look.
"Quel undome, Haldir. Ya naa tanya?" He glanced back at me.
"He is a friend of the Lady," Haldir replied in Common speech. The other elf seemed taken aback, but responded in kind.
"An Easterling? A friend of the Lady? That's rich!" He laughed scornfully.
"Tell her Rukil has come." Haldir replied evenly.
But the other elf had no need to, for to the suprise of all, the Lady herself came forward.
She was clad in white, and seemed almost to glow with an inner light. Her entire manner spoke of power, yet she hid it under a haunting smile and cascading golden hair. Beauty radiated from her, such that I had never seen before. Her eyes were a stunning blue, and when I looked into them it was as though I saw memories of days long past. Battles lost and won, the shape of the land changing with the arrival of Men. These I saw in a flash, as if I was being shown what the Lady wanted me to see. Her icy blue eyes looked into the depths of my soul, and there was a long silence before she spoke. But even when she did it was in thought rather than word.
   "It makes my heart glad to see you here, Rukil. For you are the first of your kind to see the golden boughs of Caras Galadhon. But I did not summon you here to admire the scenery." At this she looked at the elf standing guard and spoke aloud to him.    
   "Elhael, it is my will that Rukil is here. He will be treated with respect."
   The elf stood at attention and put a fist to his chest. "It shall be as you say milady," he said as he turned and descended the stairs, leaving Haldir, Rumil, and I alone with the Lady.
"Be seated. I will call for nourishment." She motioned toward a long white table, and I took a seat on the left side of it. The entire room was elegant, and it made me uncomfortable. I was unused to such luxury as this.
  Haldir and Rumil sat on either side of me, I assumed because the Lady didn't trust me enough to leave me unattended.
   "It has been too long since I have eaten here last," Haldir exclaimed with a smile.
  "Why aren't you here often?" I asked.
  "It is difficult to find time to rest here as a Marchwarden. I am preoccupied with protecting our borders, which has been increasingly difficult of late. The orcs have grown more daring, and have set patrols ever closer to the Golden Wood. We've been able to drive them back, but I fear that we will soon be outnumbered."
  It felt strange, discussing such things with an elf. A week ago the orcs had been my allies, though uneasy ones.
   "Such talk should be saved for later, I think." I wanted to learn if I could trust the elves before I revealed any information.
  "You're right of course," Haldir said. "Ah, thank the Valar! The food has come!"
   A procession of elves, both male and female, entered the room, bringing large silver platters laden with meat, fruits, and vegetables. The elves at the back of the procession carried bottles of wine. My mouth watered at the sight of so much food. I had only seen this much food in one place once in my life, and that was at my father's palace. I never was allowed to eat at those feasts though since, as my father said, I needed to always be "fit for battle."
Therefore, this would be the first feast that I actually attended.
The elves set the platters and bottles of wine at the table, and retreated back through the door they had entered from.
Elhael, the elf who had stopped us earlier, entered through another door. "The Lord and Lady of Lorien!" He flourished his hand toward the door and bowed as Galadriel entered again, holding the arm of a tall, noble looking elf. I stood along with Haldir and Rumil and bowed at my waist. The Lord and Lady bowed their heads slightly as a token of respect, then gracefully glided to their seats at the table. The Lord took a seat at the head of the table, with the Lady at his right. When they were seated the Lord turned to me.
   "I am Celeborn, lord of the Galadhrim. Galadriel has told me much of you." At this the Lady smiled warmly. I returned the smile.
   "Only good things, I hope," I said jokingly. Galadriel couldn't know much about me, other than my origins and perhaps of my battle in the arena.
   "Indeed, she spoke highly of you," Celeborn said as he reached for a crystal glass full of red wine. "You sound like an extraordinary Man."
   "I assure you I am not. I have done more than my share of evil."
   After taking a sip of his wine Celeborn responded. "But only under threat of force. Indeed, it seems that had you had your freedom Rhun would be a much better place."
   At this the Lady, who had until then been listening in silence, spoke up. "Which is why you are here at all. I know that your people dislike formalities, so I will speak my purpose clearly. You are royalty among the Easterlings. Your word holds sway over many of them, whether you believe that or not."
   I shook my head emphatically. "You're mistaken milady. I have no claim to any throne, nor do I have followers. I am a man without a purpose; a fighter without a cause."
   "But you are wrong. In the brief time you served in the Lòke-Rim you gained the admiration and loyalty of several men."
   "We fought in the arena together, were it not for that they would not have even given me a chance."
  "It matters not how you gained their loyalty, but that you did it in the first place. You are a born leader, Rukil. You aren't meant to live the life of low soldiery, but to be a ruler of nations."
   She seemed to have spoken as much as she cared to, and began to pick at the lettuce on her silver plate.
   "She is right. You know that, deep down." Celeborn directed his gaze at me, and it felt like he was probing the depths of my being. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.
   "I'm not meant to rule! My brother is the oldest, he ascended to the throne rightfully." As much as I hated him, I admitted that his position of rulership was just. After all, he was the firstborn, I was one of many others.
   "But your brother abuses his power to terrorize your people. He only seeks after his own gain."
   How did they know so much about me? About my country? They had a firm grasp on the situation in my tribe, and it was likely that they knew even more than that.
   "What do you expect me to do? Overthrow him?" My voice was filled with exasperation, and with good reason. I had considered the idea myself in the days of my youth when my father still ruled, before realizing that such an endeavor would mean certain death.
   "You are not alone in your disgust for him. Many of your people will help you, and you have powerful allies."
   "Who, Khanar? I'm almost certain he was the one who sent assassins after me."
   "No. Hadar is a well known figure in his homeland, and would easily be able to gain the support of his tribesmen."
   "How do you two know all of this??" I blurted out. I was tired of them knowing more than I did.
   Galadriel looked up from her food slowly. "I see many things. Of late I have seen much of you. The things you have done, and some things that you have not yet done. There are several paths you may take, but there is only one right path. You must choose for yourself."
   What did she mean by that?
   "Can you see my future?" I asked, slightly confused.
   "Yes. But your future is uncertain, as is the future of anyone I see. However I am certain that the path you choose will either be the salvation of this world or the downfall of it."
   Silence permeated the air, and suddenly the entire mood of the room had changed. It seemed slightly darker, as if a breeze had come through and blown some of the candles out. But when I looked I saw that all of the candles were still alight. The Lady's words were grim, and now I felt as if a huge weight were on my shoulders.
   "What choice is the right one?" I asked after a moment, cutting through the silence like a knife through butter.
   "I will not tell you, for you must see for yourself and decipher the right way."
   "How can I see the future?" I asked.
   "I will show it to you, after you are finished." She motioned to my food, which was untouched. I had been so preoccupied with the conversation that I had forgotten all about it.
   I quickly ate all the food on my plate, eager to see what the Lady would show me. However although I was eager, at the same time I feared what I would see. Would there be a good choice? And if there was, would I even want to carry it out?
   I would have to wait to find out.