Chapter 31: Booking Passage

It turned out that it took around a day and a half to reach the border. I knew we had reached it as soon as we arrived, for it was clearly apparent, almost startlingly so. On one side were the lush, green plains of Khand. On the other was dry, tall grass that looked as if rain had never touched it, and to the north were ominous clouds that seemed to whisper of a storm.

"We are at the border now," Taryi said, though it seemed as though that was obvious to all present.

"I suppose that you are eager to return to your mother and siblings," I said quietly.

"I'm staying," She said bluntly.

"What?" I said in surprise, echoed by the astonished voice of Hadar.

"You heard me. I thought on your words, what you said on the road. And you are right. We must fight, or else everything good in this world will fade forever. I will not stand idly by and let that happen. I may have never been in a battle before, and I may not return from the coming one. But I know what I believe, and I will fight for it regardless."

Her words were brave, and filled my heart with courage. For here was someone who was not a warrior, was not even one of my people, but was willing to die to defend good.

"You have a stout heart Taryi. Never have I heard it so bravely said. Very well, you will fight alongside us. Welcome to our company." I smiled warmly at her, and to my surprise she smiled back.

I ordered the company onward, and after a moment I slowed down until I was riding next to Hadar.

"I take it you heard the whole conversation," I said quietly, watching to make sure Taryi wasn't listening.

"I did," Hadar replied, not giving any hints as to how he felt about it.

"I need you to do me a favor."

"Of course. Name it and it will be done."

I paused for a moment before saying it. I knew that he would protest. "I would like you to stay close to Taryi. She may be brave, but she's no warrior. She needs someone to defend her during the battle," I finally said.

Hadar frowned, but nodded. "You aren't wrong. And as much as she grates on my nerves, I shall do as you say. She could become a fine warrior."

"Thank you," I said. "I expected you to object."

"Who, me? Object? Never!" He said, a crooked grin forming on his face.

"Don't make me-" I was cut off by Caledorn's clear voice calling out from the front of the line.

"The city is ahead!"

I saw in front of us the red clay domes of hundreds of buildings, and the black sails of many ships cut a jagged line on the horizon. Gulls could also be heard, making their mournful call which echoed across the land.

We had arrived.

==============================
It was decided that only Hadar and I would enter the city, the army would stay out of eyesight. Caledorn and Pallando would be too conspicuous, and I felt that Taryi wouldn't be safe in such a despicable place.

And so Hadar and I entered, dressed in the garb of seafaring pirates. I had merely removed some of my armor and my helmet, and had wrapped my scarf around my head like a turban. Hadar had gone to the extreme, wearing massive golden hoops in his ears and removing his shirt. I have to admit, he would've looked rather intimidating if I didn't know him.

The first thing I noticed when I entered the city was the utter chaos that was taking place. Merchants were practically screaming, trying to bring attention to their wares. Frequent brawls took place around us as we walked, and occasionally I would narrowly avoid tripping on drunken sailors. Slave auctions also took place, adding to the din. Although it pained me to do so, I forced myself to ignore the downtrodden and dejected faces of the slaves as they were auctioned off. But I decided then that should we succeed, we would liberate the slaves here next.