Chapter 28: Duel on the Moor

At the same time that Hadar had met with misfortune at the farmhouse, Caledorn was moving along the side of the road itself, little more than a passing shadow in the night. Anyone that would have been traveling along the road at that time would not have seen anything out of the ordinary, and indeed wouldn't have even been aware of his presence aside from possibly having the uncomfortable feeling of being watched.

Caledorn's path was far more dangerous than Hadar's however, for many patrols guarded the road. In fact, Caledorn was certain that the patrols were in place purely to halt Rukil's progress, and he caught snatches of their conversations that seemed to prove his point. However, it became clear without a doubt when Caledorn came upon a well-traveled crossroads. There, instead of a patrol, a large camp had been erected all around the crossroads, and heavily armored warriors marched back and forth, making their rounds about the camp. One tent that was larger than the others caught Caledorn's attention particularly, and he decided to investigate.

As he neared it, he heard what sounded like two voices in a heated debate, one of which was on the verge of shouting.

"Curse you, I told you we can handle this ourselves! We don't need you to come along and strongarm us out of the way!" The first voice said angrily.

"Remember thine place, General," A second, far more menacing voice, said. "My Master is also thine master, and I am his highest servant. Thou would do best to heed my council."

"Your council is madness! If we leave Khand it will become vulnerable to attack!"

"And if Rhun falls to that usurper, thou shalt be destroyed. It would be in thine Emperor's interest to obey." The second voice grew harsher, and a hint of anger could be heard in it.

"Perhaps an alliance with Mordor is no longer in my lord's best interest then," A third voice, which was much more even toned, said.

"Thou hast little choice in the matter, Ambassador Hideki. If thine people wish to break the alliance between us, they shall starve. No longer shall they receive supplies. Their fields shall burn. If thou will not be allies, then thou shalt be enemies."

"Do not be hasty, m'lord. We merely wish to control our own armies. We can send half our force to aid you against the rebels in Rhun, but no more."

"Hmm... So be it. Separate thy forces and make haste to Rhun. Half thine forces will not be enough to face the usurper in open battle, but with the help of our puppet in Rhun they shall surely crush him."

At that moment a fourth voice, that of a guard, interrupted.

"M'lords, sentries have reported seeing an unidentified man on the road nearby, not one hour past. He was dressed like an assassin or spy and was making his way toward the camp."

"Then I must leave. My master will not be pleased by thine halfhearted efforts." Caledorn heard the sound of someone leaving the tent in a hurry. He silently jumped onto the top of one of the tent poles and crawled slowly forward, hoping to catch a glimpse of Mordor's ambassador.

What he saw when he was able to see clearly didn't surprise him in the slightest. Mounting a coal black horse was Sauron's messenger known only as the Mouth of Sauron, his mouth turned slightly upward in an eternal grimace. Caledorn had encountered him once before, on the plains of Dagorlad many years ago. The Mouth had proved to be a surprisingly challenging foe, and both warriors had barely escaped with their lives. Now though, Caledorn felt that he could defeat him easily enough if he took him by surprise. After all, the Mouth had no idea that Caledorn was anywhere nearby, and wouldn't be expecting an assassin.