Chapter 30: Almost Home

"I'll send several of my knights to search for Caledorn," Nadow said insistently. "They will be careful, I swear it."

"As much as I wish to find him, I do not think sending more men out will aid him now. It is likely that they too will be captured. Besides, Caledorn has been in difficult situations before. I am confident that this is no different." Even as I said the words, I knew I was lying to myself, and Nadow seemed to know too. I was worried for Caledorn, and at this point I was sure something had gone wrong. Otherwise, he would have returned much earlier. He had been gone for two days now, which was far longer than it should have taken for him to scout the road.

"Then what do we do, leave him behind? He'll die!" Nadow exclaimed, pounding a fist on the table we stood around.

"As I said, I do not want to leave him behind either. But we have no choice. Time is running out, if we don't reach Rhun soon I fear it will be too late."

At this Nadow frowned, and looked down at the table. "You are right. I'll prepare the men."

"Thank you. And Nadow?" I said, stopping him before he left the room. "He'll be alright. He'll find a way."

"I want to believe that Rukil." He turned and left, leaving me to feel torn about my decision. A moment later I followed Nadow out of the house, and mounted my horse. Whether or not I had made the right decision, the choice was made. I would not change it now.

I rode until I saw my army in the distance, encamped in a lush valley that was out of sight of the road. Approaching me was Pallando, riding swiftly atop his pale steed.

"Rukil, I have news!" He shouted into the wind as he rode closer.

"What news is that?" I asked.

"News that would best be discussed indoors," He replied, nervously cracking his knuckles.

"To my tent then, we shall have privacy to discuss it in full there." I spurred my horse onward, following the meek wizard into the valley below. Guards were posted around it, keeping a watchful eye out for anyone who may stumble upon the valley, by accident or otherwise.

We soon arrived at my tent, which was positioned in the center of the camp, much to my disdain. It made me feel as if I was more important than the others, and needed to be protected... Which, if I admitted it, was somewhat true, since this entire quest depended on me. But still, I didn't feel that important, and I still wasn't sure that I wanted to be.

Alatar stood outside my tent, his arms crossed and his face twisted into a frown. He beat me to being the first to speak.

"Rukil... You cannot journey alone anymore, even just a short distance. This quest hinges on you, we cannot risk harm being done to you."

I narrowed my eyes. "I think I can handle myself, Alatar."

"I do not doubt that. But even a trained warrior can be killed from the shadows."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Come inside. We have learned much that you too should know." He gestured toward the tent and opened the flap, and I entered.

Much to my surprise, Caledorn sat in a chair in the corner of the tent. He rose when I entered.

"Caledorn!" I exclaimed, smiling widely. "What took you so long to return?"

"I was... Delayed. But that is not important right now. What is important is what I've learned." Caledorn unrolled a map onto the table in the center of the room. I strode forward and leaned over it, waiting for Caledorn to begin.