Chapter 14: Under the Argonath

First Person

I ran all day, only stopping occasionally to catch my breath or drink from the river whose babbling voice had been my only companion. I wanted to put as much distance between me and the army as I could, although I was still levelheaded enough to make sure I didn't get lost. I had followed the Anduin north, until the land changed from flat plains to land that was slightly more hilly, with tall trees that rose like the land's exposed spine from the landscape. In the distance I could see that there was a massive waterfall, as the mist that came from it could be easily seen from where I stood. With luck, I would make it there by nightfall, though at the moment I doubted I could rely on luck. It clearly wasn't on my side.
I stopped and took in my surroundings. On the other side of the river appeared to be barren hills, lifeless except for an occasional dismal looking bush or tree that struggled to grow in the grayish, chalky dirt. On my side of the river, it was lush and green. At least, much greener than anything I had ever seen in my homeland. While the riverbank itself was rocky, the land just beyond it was covered with tall green grass, and trees dotted the landscape.
The only downside to the beautiful scenery was that I was completely visible, and there was little cover. If anyone came after me they'd be able to see me from a long distance away.
I tried not to let the thought bother me too much, and instead focused on what was ahead. With a sigh I leaned on my halberd, and after taking a moment to catch my breath I took off again.
===============================
Third Person

"Reinforcements have arrived from Minas Tirith! We're saved!" Faramir cried out in excitement. The horn that had answered Boromir's was that of the Tower Guard, and that meant that Denethor had come, most likely with an entire army. Boromir embraced his brother in relief and looked out a window of the keep.
He could see the Easterlings falling back, retreating out the city gate. They hadn't expected reinforcements to arrive, but despite this they were retreating in an organized manner. Boromir guessed that this attack wasn't strategic so much as a show of force. Either way, the Easterlings didn't seem eager to fight an entire army.
"It looks as though we won little brother!" Boromir smiled and clapped Faramir on the back. Several soldiers who stood nearby cheered with joy. Faramir seemed happy, but at the same time a cloud of worry seemed to pass over his countenance.
"You know father will blame me for this..." Faramir said, looking at his brother. Boromir rolled his eyes in annoyance.
"Surely he cannot be so blind as that. Without you the city would have fallen before he even arrived." He smiled slightly after a moment. "I'll put in a good word for you."
Faramir smiled appreciatively and turned as the door of the keep opened. Denethor strode in, dressed in the armor of a Gondorian knight. His sword, which was still in his hand, was covered in blood. Evidently, the Easterlings hadn't left completely without a fight.
"Boromir, I see you kept the city from burning completely down while I was gone," he said as he grinned widely and embraced his eldest son. Boromir returned the embrace and nodded.
"We did. Without Faramir's warning the city would've fallen."
At this Denethor frowned. "Give yourself some credit my son, you mounted the defense of Cair Sirion! I'm proud of you." Faramir melted into the corner of the room, knowing that anything he said would only draw his father's negative attention upon him. Boromir attempted to hold a smile and tactfully changed the subject.
"How did you know the city was under attack? We didn't send anyone; we weren't able to."
Denethor waved his sword around dramatically. "I have spies everywhere. One such spy sent word, and I was able to muster the Guard two days ago. Though I don't doubt you would've found a way to save the city regardless."
"Unlikely father. Those Easterlings were fierce and well trained. I fear that this attack was merely to test our strength."
Denethor stared thoughtfully out the window, considering his son's words. "At the very least then we showed them that we're strong enough to defeat them."
"For now." Boromir stated. "Again, it's possible that that was only a portion of what's to come. We need to strengthen our defenses in the outer cities."
"You're right, of course," Denethor agreed, drumming his fingers on the windowsill. "Do whatever you must to keep Cair Sirion and the other outer cities safe. This attack has brought many questions to my mind... Questions that must be answered at once." With that he strode out the door, leaving Faramir and Boromir looking at each other uncertainly. They both knew that of late their father wasn't himself... Something was different. They'd have to rely on their own wits from then on to keep Gondor safe.
===============================
"M'lord, our losses were minimal in the retreat," an Easterling officer said as he stood in front of Lord Khanar. "However I advise a return to Morgothrone to gather more men."
Lord Khanar stared at the officer, who began to shift nervously. He seemed to be thinking. "Perhaps you're right. The attack itself went flawlessly, with more men we'd be able to take the city," he said measuredly after a moment. The officer relaxed and nodded. "I'll order the men to prepare to march," he said, saluting crisply. He turned to leave.
"Wait," Khanar said, causing the officer to turn back to face him. "Bring me the soldier who opened the gates, Rukil. I wish to commend him on his work."
"Yes, m'lord," the officer exclaimed as he spun on his heel and left Khanar's tent. Khanar smiled slightly. Rukil had carried out his orders to the letter... Which meant that he had the young prince under his control. Now for the next part of his plan. Khanar planned to promote Rukil, and from there help him seize control of his tribe, by force if necessary. With the Dorgeshi under his control, Khanar and his fellow lords would be able to challenge and overthrow the Khan once and for all...
His thoughts were abruptly interrupted when the officer who had just left stormed back into the tent.
"M'lord, Rukil was seen leaving the city during the assault. He evidently killed one of our men as well!"
Khanar slammed his fist on the table in anger. What had gone wrong?! He thought Rukil was loyal, but perhaps he had been wrong.
"Bring me the assassin," Khanar hissed. The officer's eyes widened.
   "Isn't that a bit extreme m'lord?" He whispered.
   "No!" Khanar shouted and clenched his teeth. He knew he couldn't risk letting Rukil live. If he somehow turned the Dorgeshi against them, or worse, told a servant of Sauron of his disloyalty...
"Very well m'lord, at once." The officer once more left the tent, this time shaking in fear. Khanar understood... Even he feared the assassins of the Order.
===============================
First Person

   All the tales I had been told and all the legends I had heard about the West had done nothing to prepare me for what my eyes fell upon. Two massive statues stood at the top of a giant waterfall, silent sentinels watching all who passed under their sight. They both bore crowns upon their heads, and had their hands outstretched in a gesture that I interpreted as a warning to any attempting to pass. They seemed to me to be of a different era, and were symbolic of a long dead kingdom. Despite that though, they still were majestic to behold. There was nothing alike to them in the Eastern lands from which I came.
    I decided that, despite being on the run and against my better judgement, I wanted to get a closer look at these stone titans. In order to do so however I'd have to climb the rocks to get to the top of the waterfall... Something that was dangerous, but if it worked it would make it difficult for anyone to follow me.
   When I reached the foot of the cliffs I realized that the task before me was monumental. They hadn't looked as tall from further away. But turning back now would lose me any lead I had on my possible pursuers, so regardless of the difficulty I would attempt the climb.
   It was easy enough to find footholds in the craggy rocks, but by the time I had gotten about halfway up I was out of breath, and my arms were aching. I looked around for an outcropping to rest on for a moment, and having found one I made my way towards it. I reached for a handhold, and suddenly my hand slipped, throwing me off balance and leaving me hanging by one arm. I looked down at the ground, which was quite a distance beneath me now, and began to feel sick. Heights, I realized, were not my friend. I reached up with my free hand and this time managed to grab the handhold I had been reaching for. I breathed out a sigh of relief and climbed the rest of the way to the outcropping, laying down on my back and laughing quietly once I made it. A warrior like me, afraid of heights? Best not let Hadar know about that...
   At the thought of Hadar a pang of sorrow went through me. I'd probably never see him again... And he'd hear that I deserted and hate me for the rest of his life. Damn it, why was making the right choice so hard?
   I rolled onto my side and looked out at the landscape below, and saw the path I had traveled along. It looked so small from here...
   Wait. Was that movement? I looked closer, and my suspicions were confirmed. I could clearly see the shape of a dark clad man picking his way through the terrain below, towards the base of the cliff. He must've been sent after me to kill me...
   I had gotten enough rest anyway, and it was clear I wasn't safe here. I stood and without hesitation began scaling the cliff side again, moving even faster than before now that I knew without a doubt that I was being followed.
   After another hour of difficult climbing, I made it to the top of the cliff. I looked down toward the bottom and saw no sign of my hunter, though he had probably reached the bottom of the cliff by now. Hopefully he was unfamiliar with climbing, I thought to myself.
I didn't waste any more time, and instead plunged into the hilly forest that was before me. The trees were tall, though not so tall as to block out the light. The sun shone down onto the forest floor and illuminated the yellow leaves that covered it. As I ran the leaves crunched underneath my feet, and I realized that my trail would be incredibly easy to follow. Unfortunately there was little I could do to hide it... Not that it mattered, my hunter was most likely a skilled tracker and would pick up my trail regardless.
I soon came to the top of a tall hill, and in front of me was a chair, if it could be called that. It was more like a throne in appearance, and was surrounded by crumbling battlements and pillars. Perhaps it had once been the seat of a king, though I wondered what need a king would have of such a wild and unkempt throne.
Out of curiosity I sat upon it, and the view from it filled me with awe. To the north I could see the Anduin, like a thin ribbon winding into a dense forest. The Misty Mountains rose up like sharp teeth in the far distance, their white peaks disappearing into the clouds. It was a beautiful sight, and one that I would only likely see once in my life. I took a deep breath and observed in silence, for a moment forgetting my plight. The world looked so peaceful from here...
I was torn from my thoughts with a start as I heard a twig snap in the forest behind me. What was that? Surely my hunter wouldn't have caught up so soon! I spun around to face the intruder...
But he was already upon me.