Chapter 38- Never Again

“I’m not sure where she went,” Jinxx said, walking around his yard in hopes of finding the young girl. He was close, she could tell.

“I don’t see any holes in the fence, and I think we would’ve noticed a one and a half- ton horse being stolen,” Ella replied. Abbie bit her lip to keep from making noise.

“She’s probably behind that bush,” Jinxx chuckled, making Ella laugh as well.

“Yeah, because I’m just so scary,” Ella joined in. Jinxx moved away one of the branches jokingly, expecting to find nothing. He jumped back when he saw the girl.

“Abbie?” both of them exclaimed at the same time. Abbie lowered her head and climbed out of the bush.

“Well, as I said before, we’re going to try to help you. I figured we’d start off small and work our way up,” Jinxx said, getting his composure back. Abbie looked up at Ella. Her head pounded. Her eyes widened and she collapsed to the ground. Ella started to come near her, but stopped herself and backed away.

“It’s ok, Abbie. It’s Ella, you know Ella,” Jinxx said.

“Kicked, punched, cut. She was there! She saw! She just watched! Watched with that stupid expression on her face. Didn’t do anything at all to stop him,” she whispered, closing her eyes. Jinxx glanced at Ella, who shrugged.

“What are you talking about, Abbie?” Jinxx asked.

“Yeah I was with everyone else, trying to find you,” Ella joined in.

“Everyone else but Jinxx and Sammi were watching. Sammi was hiding. That’s why they did it. They tried to get me to tell them where she was, but I didn’t. I made sure not to.” Ella walked towards Abbie. Abbie’s eyes shot open and the small girl was quickly replaced with the large horse.

“She’s-“ Ella said, looking at Jinxx. He nodded.

“Sammi told me her color changed,” he explained. The mare looked between the two.

“I’ve dealt with scared horses before. This could work,” Ella said to herself, tilting her head. She turned around and walked back to the house, motioning for Jinxx to do the same. They stopped right in front of the door and stood there.

“Go inside Jinxx,” Ella said. He glanced at her. She nodded. Abbie stared at her, ears back and head lowered.

“Think hard, Abbie. Back to when we were on tour. Remember how much fun we had? Before I even knew you were a horse. We were friends, remember? Forget everything that happened. Forget what ever they did to you, what ever lies they told you. I was trying. We all were trying. Please, Abbie. Just try to remember. I won’t hurt you. Nobody here wants to hurt you. Snap out of it,” Ella called. The mare pinned her ears back and snorted. She reared up and raced towards the woman. She was wrong. She would hurt her. She’d prove she was wrong. She skidded to a stop inches away from the woman’s body, nostrils flaring. She calmly turned around and smiled at the mare. “See? No one’s going to hurt you.” She reached her hand out towards Abbie’s muzzle. The mare hesitated, then stepped back. She’d accept being in the same room as the woman for now, but she was not about to let her touch her.

“That’s ok. We can work at it,” Ella offered, flashing Abbie a smile.

“Tell Jinxx I’m going to stay out here for a couple days,” Abbie snorted, turning away from Ella and galloping off around the yard.

“Just stay within earshot of us so we can call you if we need us!” Ella called out behind her. Abbie rolled her eyes. She didn’t ask for rules. She’d do what she felt like doing. Ella furrowed her brow, then turned and went inside.  Abbie stopped and stared at the house when she heard the door close. She took a deep breath and shook out her mane. Maybe she was over reacting. She didn’t want some guy to control her life and decide who made her feel like what. She wouldn’t let what Brad had done to her affect her feelings towards her friends. They hadn’t been there. They were just posters.

“Never again,” she whispered, taking off at a strong gallop.