Chapter 12- Promises

Andy ignored Abbie for the rest of the day. She just sat in their room on her bed, staring at her plushie Andy doll. She didn’t see what the big deal was. If anything, she thought he’d be proud that his music affected her so deeply, and it wasn’t like she wasn’t ever going to see him play again. She just hadn’t expected the song to be so moving. She even wanted to see their full show the next day. That is, if he even let her. There was a knock on the door that startled her. She wiped the tears from her face and combed her fingers through her hair.

“Come in,” she said softly, looking at the door. It slowly opened to reveal Andy, who looked very disappointed in her.

“We need to talk,” he said, closing the door behind him and sitting on his bed. She nodded and looked at him.

“I’m not mad that you missed our set or because you stopped holding my hand. And people end up crying during these shows more than you realize. I’m disappointed that you ran away from Sammi, Ella, and Lauren. Someone could have taken you back if you asked, or talked to you. What if those men that kidnapped you before were there?” Andy looked straight in her eyes.

“But they didn’t. They aren’t even here! I ran into Bret and he brought me to you guys.”

“Luckily he was there! Listen, this is not the way to start off Warped Tour. It’s supposed to be the best day ever, and we get to live that for three months, then again in Europe. Just promise me you’ll try not to do that again?” She nodded.

“I’m sorry. The lyrics reminded me of camp,” she whispered, tears threatening to drip out of her eyes.

“I know, it’s ok,” he whispered, sitting on her bed next to her. She hugged him tightly.

“I miss Jess, and Angela, and Michele, and Steph!” she sobbed. He nodded and rubbed her back.

“It’s ok. I miss them, too.”

“And I miss being able to canter around. I loved galloping with you guys. I felt so free, but so protected. Now I feel… different. Like a human. All boring and normal. I miss being a horse!”

“Shhh. No, you aren’t boring. Washing machines are normal. You aren’t even close to being a washing machine. I know it’s hard being human, but don’t worry. It’s not that bad. You can be a horse again sooner than you think. How about this: tomorrow we can go on a walk and find a nice, empty clearing where you can run around as much as you want?” he smiled. She sniffed and looked up at him, rubbing her eyes.

“Really?” she asked, her face lighting up with excitement.

“Really,” he grinned.

“Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!” she exclaimed, hugging him again.

“Just get a good night’s sleep tonight, ok?” he asked. She nodded and got under her covers.

“Night!” she smiled.

“Night,” he said quietly, turning off the lights and leaving the room.