11. Grams

Sunday mornings were always hard to wake up early on. I had to work at ten and I wanted to stop at Anne's house before I left for work. I rolled out of bed, instantly hit with freezing cold air. The winter weather has smashed into town like a bomb, exploding coldness everywhere. I personally love winter. It was the time of year when you can snuggle up with people. Plus I love snow.

I got dressed in a casual outfit. I then rushed downstairs.

"Honey where are you going" My mom was sitting on the couch in her pajamas holding a newspaper in one hand and a glass of milk in her other hand. She was all about getting her calcium for the day.

"I have to work today" I said slipping on my coat.

"Gracie, I'm so proud of you for sticking to your job. I think we should start looking for a car" She smiled not even looking up from her paper.

"What! Are you serious" I ran over to her smashing her in a hug "Thank you so much I love you. You're the best mom ever!" I really did love my mom. She was like no other mom I have ever seen, She is just so laid back. She cleared her throat.

"Call me Michelle! And you have to pay for half of it remember" She frowned up at me. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Sorry Michelle you are the best" I laughed. She was just so weird not like a mom but more like my friend. I gave her one more hug before I skipped out of the house. It was chilly out and the sky was more of a gray color than the pretty blue I love. I stuck my hands in my coat pocket, rushing across the street. I hadn't talk to Anne since Friday at the shop. I knocked on the large wooden door looking down at my shoes as I waited for Anne to answer the door.

"Coming!" I heard her shout from inside. The door opened to reveal a smiling Anne. "Oh Gracie, it's so nice to see you. Please come in" She was being so formal it was scary. I followed her into the kitchen where I saw an older woman. "Gracie I would like you to meet my mother" The lady smiled up at me.

"You are a gorgeous little thing" She said. She had graying hair and she had a nice thick cream colored jumper on. She has the same eyes as Anne; they were so strong and held something that I couldn't figure out.

"Thank you " I said sweetly. I have a soft spot for older people.

"Would you like to join us for tea" Anne said scurrying around the kitchen.

"I would love to but I only can stay for an hour. I have work at ten" I dropped into the seat across from Anne's mother. I was unsure of what to call her. Awkward.

"So um Mrs.-" I bit my lip I didn't even know what Anne's maiden name was. She looked at me with an amused smile of her face.

"Oh darling you can just call me Grams. I have gotten so used to that name" I swallowed the lump in my throat giving her a giant smile. It was weird but I kind of really like this family.

"So you want to tell me how the party went" Anne asked setting tea cups on the table.

"It went good I think" I glanced at Grams. She was smiling at me.

"What happened" Anne set a tea pot on the table and joined us. She started pouring the hot water.

"We danced together..." I trailed off not wanting to say too much. I blew on my hot drink before I took a sip. I would never get used to tea. I was more of a coffee or a Macchiato person.

"My grandson probably can't keep his hands off of you" Grams said. I nearly choked on my drink. What was up with the woman in this family, so forward. "Sorry dear didn't mean to startle you. Anne filed me in on what she had done. I think it's a little over the top but you seem like a nice girl" She sipped on her tea.