Chapter 2

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Tap. Tap. Tap

I chewed the bottom of my lip as I tapped my pen on the rail of the bed.

Tap tap. Beep Beep.

The machine was the loudest thing in the room. I didn't mind tho. It was kinda calming.

"Oh hi Lux. How are you this morning" a deep voice asked behind me. I turned to find just another guy in a white jacket, carrying a brown clip board. He, was just like every other one. He didn't know what was wrong with my father.

"Did you go home last night like I recommended?" He asked me as he moved my father up on his bed and checked his vital signs.

"Um no, I um stayed again" I said in a thraspy voice. Talking felt weird at the moment. I haven't said a word since I've been here. It was more nodding when I agreed with something, or shaking my head when I didn't want something. Like food, they've been trying to get me to eat something for the past couple of days. But I refused to put something in my body, while he just sat there lifeless. It didn't seem right. Instead I cried myself to sleep most nights.

He looked at me for a moment before sighing. "Did you find something?" I asked nervously pushing my brown curls out of my face. My green eyes looked up at him in anticipation.

"Actually that's what I came in here to talk to you about." He began "We found something in California. They specialize in the heart surgery I mentioned the other day"

I sat up in my chair with a huge smile on my face for the first time. Finally. I had been sitting here for days waiting for this news. I seriously was not gonna leave until I heard something good. And honestly I really really needed to shower.

"BUT.."

"But? But what? There can't be any buts."

If I wasn't in the state I was currently in, my immature mind might've found that a little funny.

"The surgery is $75,000.." he said handing me the paper work.

"75,000 dollars! What about insurance?" I asked in disbelief. Just when I had something, it was being taken away. I was starting to think this was the end. After all this, this was where it all ends.

"Insurance would only cover about $25,000 of that. And me being a personal friend of your family since before you were born, I know you can't afford it."

"What about a loan? Do they do that?"

"Your a minor. And your dad is the only one that would be able to get it, seeing as your mother didn't bother to show up?" He stated. It was true. I would have thought that when I called her up for something important like this, that she would come running. But no. The only thing she said was give him my best wishes. What type of shit is that?

Anne Valentine was the women who walked out of my family a long time ago. Ever since I could remember, it had only been me and my dad. We called ourselves the Valenteam because he told me no matter what, we'd always stick together. And he stuck to it.

James Valentine was my entire world, my best friend, my dad. He worked so hard to provide for me all these years. He was even the mother Anne would never be. He went to my ballet recitals, hosted my sleepovers, helped me through puberty, took me training bra shopping. That might've been the most embarrassing one. He even took me out for ice cream when I had my first period. Okay I take that back. THAT was definitely the most embarrassing one. But I'd choose my dad over Anne any day.