First Day of School/An Old Friend

My first day of school, and my first day as a freshman at NorthVale High began on Sept. 5th. It was 3 stories high. I took my first steps on its lustrous, cream-colored floors, and its walls were made of brownstone. The hustle and bustle of the upperclassmen was too much for me to push my way through. Sooner or later, I'd have to learn to navigate these halls on my own.

Like many other high schools, mine had the typical Queen Bee, the sexy captain of the football team, and me, the girl with barely any friends. I liked being by myself, which to others was extremely unimaginable, considering they had plenty of friends.

I ran to my locker, shoving both my backpack and lunch inside. I ran through the halls trying to find my homeroom. "At last" I said, with a sigh of relief.

As I walked into homeroom, my classmates focused their eyes on me, like I had just killed someone. I was 5 minutes late, but Ms. Sullivan excused me from late detention since it was my first day here. She gave me my desk number, and I approached my seat. There, I see a familiar face talking to his friends while sitting on my desk.

"Excuse me..."
?: Yeah, what's up?

When I look up, his hazel eyes, bright smile, and silky-smooth chocolate colored hair catch my eye. It brings up memories of my father's funeral.

?- Well are you gonna say anything?

"It feels like I know you from somewhere.."

I remember my father's funeral very well. His casket was vanilla white. My mom, uncles, aunts, cousins, and grandparents all attended; even a few of my dad's friends showed up. But there was one who stuck out to me like a sore thumb: Benjamin. He was a tall, muscular guy with fair skin like mine, at least from what I could remember...

I was only 7 at the time. Benjamin sent his condolences to our family. Meanwhile, I found out that he had a son my age. We quickly became great friends.

All throughout my years in elementary school, he comforted me whenever I cried. Sometimes he and his father would take care of us whenever we were sick. He had the same characteristics as the muscle-toned guy who sat in front of me. What was his name?