Chapter 13

I wake up and Cam wasn't lying when he said he would be there. He was sitting on the end of my bed, looking at a picture. I sit up and look at it. It was of me, him, and a woman. "Who is she?"

He looks at me and puts it back on a table, both of us still staring at it. "It's your mom. That was taken four months before she died when we were at the fair."

I smile. "She's beautiful." 

He nods. "Yeah, she was a great woman. And you're just like her."

I smile at him and get up. I find some clothes and I go get ready. I put on some shorts, a Camp Half-Blood T-Shirt, and tennis shoes. I braid my hair again and put on the same beanie. I didn't want people to look at me differently. I walk out and see a bump in my pillow case. I pull a necklace out.

It was bronze with a long chain. It had a heart on it with mine and Leo's names on it. Cam looks at it and opens it up. It was a picture of Leo and I. His eyes widen. "It's defected." Cam stuffs it in my pillow case quickly.

"It's a necklace."

"Yeah. Your cabin's already at breakfast. Let's go." He grabs my hand and we run to breakfast. I eat in silence, trying to make sense of this morning with the necklace and Cam acting weird. Cam tried to talk to me but I didn't speak back.

After breakfast, I started walking alone back to my cabin. I still hadn't made sense of it. A lot of things, actually. I see Leo. He seems me and waves a little. I wave back and smile. He looks away. I start to walk towards him and he starts walking away. "Leo!" I shout. I start running to catch up with him. He speeds up but I catch him. Actually, I tackle him to the ground.

I roll off of him. "Do you go around tackling everyone now?"

"I'm sorry. You were ignoring me. And we're friends now. Friends tackle each other."

"Right now, I think that's only you." We both laugh and then he frowns. "Sunny, you shouldn't spend time with me. All I do is cause pain. I'm not worth that, Sunny. Please, just stay away from me. It's for your own good. I hate you lost your memory. But maybe it's a second chance for you. Go be with Connor Stoll. He won't hurt you."

He turns around and starts to walk off. "Leo, I lost my memory. But what did I forget that makes you say this? I want to remember." He stops and turns around.

"Sunny, act like your whole memory of me is gone. Act like Leo Valdez was never in your life. Act like I'm just the Hephaestus kid you see everyday." He starts walking again.

"You don't want me to remember. What don't you want me to remember?" He keeps walking. I catch up with him. "You made me a necklace, that must mean something. What don't you want me to remember?"

"Me." He says, simply. He keeps on walking and I stand there for a second. Then I follow him.

"But I don't want to forget you." I'm right behind him. "Do you just not want me in your life anymore? Look, I don't remember what I did. But whatever it was, I'm sorry. Maybe like you said, it's a new start. I can be your friend again."

"Sunny, you didn't do anything. I did. I'm a terrible person and you went through it once. I'm not going to let you go through it again." He turns towards me and stares into my eyes.

"I don't think you're a terrible person." I whisper. He seems less tense now. "I think whatever you did, you didn't mean to hurt anyone." I search his eyes.

We're just standing there. Until somebody pulls on my hand. I look back and see the Piper girl. "Percy wants to see you." I look back at Leo but he's already gone, running away. He looks back at me and gives me a small smile like he was sorry and before I can even smile back, Piper pulls me away.