Chapter 2

I wasn't joking about bombardments x

*Ten years later*

"I'll buy you a drink!" Uhura shouted above the pounding music as she pushed through the crowd of people. Kez laughed, pushing some of her short dark hair from her face and trying to keep up with her friend without tripping over anyone's feet.

Both women were dressed in the Starfleet Cadet, red uniform: a dress that came to just above their knees and then shiny black boots that closely hugged their calves.

Kez didn't usually follow her friend to bars, especially ones located near shipping yards that attracted many other cadets also. The places usually featured loud music which made Kez's eardrums bleed, lots of sweaty bodies and people holding drinks haphazardly just waiting to pour them down your front in one drunken sway. It wasn't Kez's kind of fun at all but tonight she had appeased Uhura and come along for a drink or two.

However, following Uhura; who was walking with an arrow straight back, her long dark hair done up in a high ponytail, and looking stunning in her uniform; always attracted looks from not only fellow cadets but others in the car, not all of them humanoids. The attention she attracted always made Kez feel like a bolt-on. Kez was the 'less stunning' wingman of the relationship.

Kez stumbled to keep up,  nodding and smiling at those she knew who were sat in groups around the tables that were dotted around the bar until she could finally catch Uhura up.

She was already scanning a menu and pondering the drink choices.

"What do you want?" She asked, positioning the menu so Kez could get a good look.

Kez looked blankly at all the words and pictures of funky coloured cocktails, spirits and beers not really knowing what she fancied. Uhura knew this wasn't Kez's choice of activity however she had vowed that she was going to get her friend to go out more. It wasn't as if they had anything better to do before they returned to the academy. 

"Come on! Or I'll pick for you!" Uhura warned and Kez laughed. Last time Uhura had chosen the drink Kez was to consume it had resulted in her vomiting bright blue liquid that smelt of cherry and leftover lasagne.

"What does the bartender recommend?" Kez asked finally, giving up on trying to read the extensive menu. Uhura flagged down the bartender.

"Habari and hi. Any recommendations?" Uhura asked, confidently as ever.

The bartender smiled as anyone would if someone addressed you in your own language; "How about a Slusho Mix?" He asked pointing at a small board behind him, "It's a bit strong though." He added quickly.

Uhura straightened up slightly as if accepting the challenge whereas Kez was dreading every second.

"Sound great!" Uhura said happily if not a bit buzzed. She looked at her friend who was raising an eyebrow, "I'll take two."

The bartender shuffled off and Kez sighed, "You're going to kill me one day, you know that?"

Uhura chuckled, "Isn't it you that lives multiple lives? Can't you spend this one having a little fun?"

"We have very different interpretations of the word 'fun'." Kez pointed out, turning around so that her back was against the bar and she could look out at the hustle and bustle of people living their lives. 

Their conversation was interrupted.

"That's one helluva drinks order for a woman wearing those boots. Or is that where it all ends up?"