Chapter 25

Kirk was engaged in a heated, three-way debate between himself, Chekov and Doctor McCoy. Chekov had suggested that the Enterprise drop out of warp behind Titan and beam an assault team onto the Narada in an attempt to destroy the enemy ship from the inside. Although Kirk and Sulu agreed that the plan would work, McCoy had his own ideas.

"Now wait a goddamn minute! How old's this kid, anyway?" He questioned Chekov.

Chekov stood taller, "Seventeen, Sir."

"Seventeen, oh? He's seventeen. Are you even old enough to shave?"

It was at this point that Kez and Spock entered together, drawing the crew away from the argument and towards the two friends.

 "Doctor – Mister Chekov is correct. The plan he suggests could well work." Spock said, continuing forwards until he was stood between Chekov and McCoy.

Kirk couldn't help but feel relieved at how well both Spock and Kez suddenly looked. Both seemed fresh of face, eyes sparkling with newfound life and determination. He knew then that all differences had been settled, and the friends were friends again.

"Brilliant," Bones threw his hands up then turned to Kez, "And what do you think?"

Kez honestly had no idea what was going on and had no idea how Spock seemed so clued into what was being discussed on the bridge without being present for most of it. However, she trusted Spock's judgement.

She caught Kirk's eyes and he nodded slowly.

"I think it could work." She said meekly, trying not to suggest she had no idea.

"If Mister Sulu can manoeuvre us into position according to the dictates expressed by Mister Chekov, and relying on Mister Scott's expertise in calculating transporter delimitations, I believe I can be beamed aboard Nero's ship," Spock stated to Kirk, no trace of animosity in his tone or posture.

Kirk shook his head, "I won't order you to do that, Spock."

"Surely it should be a team?" Kez piped up, "That way it will be easier to retrieve Captain Pike."

"How much exposure to the ship's layout would you need in order to port from place to place and find Pike?" Spock turned to ask her.

"Probably a lot more than what is possible. However, I can get to Pike just by visualising his face, so that isn't a problem. I'd have to be beamed aboard with the transporter, same as you though. I don't want to appear wherever Pike is and be met by a load of heavily armed Romulans-,"

"Hold on," Kirk waved his arms, "You aren't going anywhere, it's too risky."

"Captain, I must disagree." Spock retorted formally, "Kestrel would be invaluable on this mission, especially as the location of Captain Pike is unknown. I must also be part of the team, as it is only logical. Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestry. I would probably be most familiar with the Romulan scientific and engineering standards to access their ship's functions and thereby locate the device and red matter." He paused briefly then added, "And my mother was human, which makes Earth the only home I have left."

Kez watched as his eyes locked with Uhura's across the bridge.

Kirk pursed his lips and looked at Kez, "Is there a way to convince you to stay?"

She shook her head, "I'll just port after you."

Kirk nodded, "Fine. But I'm coming with you both."

"I would point out that that would be highly illogical, but I know you would only ignore me," Spock stated as Kirk began to move towards the lift doors.

"See Spock! We are getting to know each other." Kirk stated with his usual cocky smile.