Epilogue

Resplendent in dress uniform as formal music played behind them, the four hundred or so cadets stood to attention, facing the tall podium. Each row was perfectly aligned, each crew section sharing the same desire to outshine each other.

Admiral Barnett stood at the front, behind the lectern, and looked out at the sea of red uniforms. The crew of people had already achieved such great things, and he knew they would only continue to do so in future.

"This assembly calls Captain James Tiberius Kirk."

Jim smiled at Kez and McCoy who were stood next to him in the line and pivoted smartly before breaking free of the line and walking to the front.

"Your inspirational valour and supreme dedication to your comrades are in keeping with the highest traditions of service and reflect utmost credit upon yourself, your crew, and the Federation. By Starfleet order Two-eight-four fifty-five, you are hereby directed to report to commanding officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise for assignment as his relief."

Snapping off an acknowledging salute and filled with pride, Kirk turned towards Pike. Formally 'Captain' but now 'Admiral' – Pike saluted back from the autochair he was sat in, having not fully healed from his encounter with the Romulans.

"I relieve you, sir," Kirk said the words, hoping that his excitement but also apprehension didn't show.

Pike secured a shiny medal to Kirk's uniform, "I am relieved. Congratulations – Captain."

"Thank you, sir," Kirk responded, recalling the first time they had met in the bar in Iowa. It seemed almost a lifetime ago.

As the cadets filed out of the assembly hall; Kez, Uhura, McCoy and Spock made their way to the front to join Kirk.

"And somehow you managed not to screw things up!" McCoy said, shaking Kirk's hand.

"Feels good," Kirk said, looking down at his medal and making it shine on purpose.

"Very nice," Kez said, rolling her eyes but Kirk could see how proud she was. That made him feel good.

"Celebrations are in order then!" Uhura declared, "Before we end up back on that ship! We need to make the most of our mini-vacation. The rest of the crew are meeting us in Old Jimmy's Bar at seven."

Kirk had to shake his head though, "Sorry guys, I have things I need to sort through tonight. Maybe tomorrow?"

"Boo, you – Captain," Uhura said but winked before dragging Spock away.

Kez looked ready to say something as McCoy moved away as well but instead, she just smiled gently at Kirk, "I hope you manage to get things sorted." And turned to leave, leaving Kirk feeling a little let down by her quietness.

"Bones!" Kez managed to shout, jogging to keep up with McCoy, feeling bad at abruptly leaving Kirk. She didn't know how to find the words she wanted to say to him.

"What can I do you for?" McCoy asked, flicking through things on his portable tablet. He had many reports to fill out since arriving on Earth. The dead needed accounting for, the wounded properly documenting and the ship resupplying with medical supplies.

"I was just wondering ...umm ... what would I have to do to retrain? As a nurse?" Kez asked, suddenly feeling shy.

McCoy paused his finger over whatever he was about to begin reading and looked up, his eyes critical as if trying to work out what her intentions were.

"A nurse? As in a nurse on the Enterprise?"

"Yes," Kez said, trying to sound less like she was a child asking a teacher for life advice.