Chapter 8

“Perfect day for a coronation.” Kirk said happily as he moved across the seats to let Kez sit down next to him. Bones followed her and took the last seat in the row in the assembly hall.

Kez had no idea why the assembly had been called but it seemed like every cadet in the academy would be present, judging by the amount of people filling into the auditorium.

“Not that they’ll give you a crown.” Bones said sceptically from his seat.

“A plaque then.” Jim said without hesitation, sitting forward in his seat to look at both McCoy and Kez, “A big plaque with James. T. Kirk – simulation king written on it in bold letters.”

Kez rolled her eyes, “Maybe they’ll just stamp it on your ego.”

Kirk looked at her then nudged her arm, “Ah come on Stibs, you know you’re pretty impressed with me.”

Kez regarded him with a questioning look and was about to speak but McCoy got there first, “Kestrel Stibbons how could you talk to your king like that?”

Kez slumped back in her seat and crossed her arms, “I’m just saying that people don’t just beat that test. Sorry for being a party pooper and all but I’m just saying.”

Kirk looked at his friend long and hard then smiled, “You’re jealous because I’m smarter then you.”

Kez sat up looking appauled but Kirk continued to talk.

“No, no. Don’t deny it. I understand. I’d be jealous of me too if I was you.” He smiled again.

Kez gave up, “Fine, fine. Well done Kirk, what you did was pretty impressive back there.”

“Thank you!”

Conversation in the entire hall stopped when the senior officers and school advisers took their seats.

Admiral Richard Barnett suddenly spoke from the panel, his voice harsh and sharp, “Cadet James. T. Kirk. Step forward.”

Kirk looked at Kez who’s eyes had suddenly filled with panic and Bones who’s face had set into something of warning.

“It’s fine.” Kirk said but he couldn’t tell if his voice sounded reassuring or the way he felt: unsure.

He walked to the front of the hall shakily and only when he got to the front did he turn back slightly to look up at his two friends. Bones looked same as ever, whereas Kez made a small gesture, something like a reassuring wave. Kirk wished she’d port down to just be a bit closer.

He stood taller. Nah, I’m fine.

Kirk took his position behind a small podium and faced the panel.

“An incident has occurred that will not be allowed to go unnoticed. Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to this council suggesting that you violated Regulation Seventeen four-three pursuant to the Starfleet Code of Ethical Conduct. Is there anything you’d like to say before we proceed?”

Don’t say anything stupid. Don’t say anything stupid – Kez was pleading with Kirk in her mind hoping that, under the amounting pressure and the eyes fixed on him, he wouldn’t resort to witty sarcasm and quick remarks. She wasn’t stupid, this was like a trial, a trial for Kirk and the whole school was witness to it. Like a massive jury. Kez shot a look at Bones who was still just sat like a statue, not willing to betray any signs of emotion towards their friend stood up front.

Instead Kirk stood there with his back to her and said, “Yes, Sir, I do. I believe I have the right to – under the same code - face my accuser directly.”

Good move, Kez thought, waiting for the accuser to make himself known. Instead of someone on the panel standing up, like she’d expected, someone in the audience did.

Kez groaned at the sight of one of her oldest friends as he stood and straightened his uniform.

Bones shot her a look, “You know him?”

Kez nodded, “Yeah, actually I do.”