XVIII

The next morning, I got dressed, grabbed my bag, and met the others. I told them where the hounds were: Flagstaff, Arizona. We'd be flying to the Humanity's closest airstrip in their private jet. The closest one to Flagstaff was at the bottom of some mountains in Jerome, Arizona.

     We were escorted to the jet, where the crowds of people were waving us off. I was more comfortable with them now. The plane doors closed, and we sat down in in the smooth, leather chairs. A garage-like door opened and we were in the sky. Because it was a long seven hour flight, I put in my headphones in and Green Day blasted through my ears.

     Summer has come and passed, the innocent can never last, wake me up when September ends. Like my fathers come to pass seven years has gone so fast, wake me up when September ends. Here comes the rain again, falling from the stars, drenched in my pain again, becoming who we are.

     I began rereading Sherlock Holmes for the millionth time. Part One: A Study in Scarlet.

"Dr. Watson-Mr. Sherlock Holmes," After a while, the words began to float off of the page and I drifted into sleep.

The dreams had become regular, now. I'd begun to have more frequently and closer together, so it wasn't surprising at the moment. I was surrounded by darkness. Slowly, an image pixelated to life. My eyes were focused on a calendar: October 17th. That was two weeks away. The calendar faded away to reveal a room with a single chair in the middle of the darkness. A door opened and Erin shoved a small figure with a sack over their head into the chair and bound them. When she was satisfied that the figure couldn't break free, she tore the bag off the person's head: Mother.

     "Where is she, Evelyn?" My mother's curly, blonde hair was frizzy and caked with dried blood from a cut on her forehead. Her eyes were sunken in and her once beautiful features had been corroded by filth.

     "I told you before," She coughed, "I have no idea," Erin leaned closer to her.

     "Sweetie, we both know that isn't true," Evelyn writhed under her stare.

     "Now you have one more chance... where is Indigo?"

     "I've told you every day, I don't know," Erin laughed, then her face became serious.

     "Liar. Bring in the tray," She shouted into the dark. Mother became frantic, her eyes wide.

     "No...please, please! Don't do this!" A silver cart was rolled into the room with knives and needles on it. The next few minutes couldn't be described. My mother was screaming, begging for her to stop, but she wouldn't. They were torturing her. Her screams went on forever until she was taken away and my father was brought in.

     "Well, James," My father looked worse than my mother had. He had a black eye and multiple cuts and bruises all over his face. His black hair clung to his scalp in matted clumps where blood stained his face.

     "Where is your daughter," The air was soon filled with his cries. I wanted to stop it, but I was powerless. The vision ended and I woke with tears in my eyes.

     "You okay?" Lucas asked.

     "No,"