XIX

Before the plane landed, I spilled everything to Lucas. He proved to be an incredible listener, but that didn't really make me feel any better. When the wheels finally touched down,all of the others had heard my story.

     "October seventeenth... Why October seventeenth?" Alan was thinking out loud, but you practically see the gears turning in his head.

     "What?" I asked.

     "It just doesn't make any sense. Why would they show you that date?"

     "Does it have to? We are dealing with a mad man, Alan," Lucas broke in.

     "Of course it matters! That date has to have some kind of significance. It has to!" Realization dawned on his face as he started assaulting me with questions.

     "Could you see  a building name? Did anything stand out to you?" I sighed. This didn't seem like it was going anywhere.

     "No, it was just a dark, abandoned warehouse." His face lit up. "What? What's wrong with you? Are you having like, I don't know, a tiny heart attack right now?"

     "No, no no no no! I get it now!"

     "From one sentence, you suddenly know everything Midnight's planning?" Lucas scoffed, Alan's ears turning red.

     "Shut up! Don't you want to hear this?" He cleared his throat. "The vision is showing you two different things: a date and where your parents are."

     "I don't... What are you saying?" As we walked off the airstrip, he talked my ear off.

     "So basically, the visions aren't remotely connected. The date was telling when Midnight will attack, the other," He looked down," I think that's happening right now..."

I shook my head. "How do you-"

"Know?" He interrupted, "It's kinda my thing, Indy." He winked at me then ran off to be in the front.

Still, it bothered me that he knew he was right, how did he do that? And if he was right, I was out sightseeing while my parents were being tortured on my behalf.

We all ran after Alan to the car that was waiting. I sighed. All these black cars were making me feel like the President or something. We struggled to keep up with Alan's long strides.

Once in the car, Josiah kept to himself with a puzzled look on his face. He tapped me on the shoulder, requesting my attention.

It doesn't make any sense. Why that day? I know Midnight, the day can't just be random. It has to mean something!

I looked down. I didn't want them to know this. Would Midnight really attack on that day?

"Indigo?" Robin placed her hands on top of mine, shaking me out of my daze.

"What aren't you telling us?" I looked back up.

"October seventeenth, that's my birthday." That day had never been happy for me. My parent's house would be insanely crowded with adults, none of my friends, not that my mom had let me have many. All night, my mother would tell everyone how proud she was of her perfect little daughter, but after the 'party', I would clean everything up, then go straight to bed, my parent's already asleep. My mother decided that I couldn't rest until everything was spotless.

"Why didn't you say?" Portia squealed. "We have to take you to dinner before we leave!"

"Okay," I laughed. Maybe my birthday could be nice this year.

In a few minutes, the car pulled up in front of motel with a glowing blue sign. The Blue Jay Lodge. The place that would be our home for the next two weeks. We grabbed our bags and made our way to the front office.

"Hi, uh, two rooms please," I began. The desk woman was short with gray hair and seemed terrified of the six of us standing in her lobby. She wrote our names down and handed me two pairs of brass keys: 4A and 3A.

The inn was tiny, so the rooms weren't hard to find. I tossed Josiah the 4A key and ran away with the other girls. They agreed to come get us for dinner later.

I unlocked the door to our room. There was a small table with three chairs in a tiny kitchen. A blue divider led to the beds. Two queen sized beds stood perfectly made with pale blue sheets. There was a small cot in the closet, which we set up in between the beds.

"Alright," I prompted, holding my hand out in a rock, pater, scissors manner. One, two, three, shoot! My hand came up rock, while both Portia and Robin had scissors. I smirked at them then threw my pack onto one of the beds.

I began unpacking my things into the drawers, then heard a 'Yes!' from Portia. She'd won the other bed. I laughed under my breath, knowing that Robin really didn't care where she slept. I finished unpacking, then collapsed on the bed, put my headphones in and went to my happy place.

We come from the land of the ice and the snow- I blocked the world out- from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow.

It was a while before I felt the dip in the bed, signaling someone was there. I slowly opened my eyes, which rejected the light immediately. It was Lucas. Funny, I hadn't heard them come in, my music must have been too loud. I paused the song and pulled out my headphones. He stood and pulled me up from my place on the bed.

"Time to go?" He nodded.

"Yep." The others stood in the doorway, waiting for the two of us. We all followed him out the door and piled into the car.

October third. I was still happy.

*************
I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so long! I feel really bad. Well here it is. And if I don't see you later,

Good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight!
   AJ