The Empty Child

Well, that was an . . . interesting spring break. -_- Grandma's funeral, Easter weekend, college visits, and my dog's pancreas getting issues.

 . . . and I just realized I never did "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith" for Caly . . . oops?

Would have written if I had the time and the motivation, sorry guys. :(

BUT!!!! . . . the Time Lords are separated from Rose during the Blitz, Rose picks up a new friend, and Anna gets a new fear.

Enjoy "The Empty Child!"

***

Rose was wakened in the middle of her nap when the TARDIS started jerking. She dressed quickly and ran out of her room, seeing Anna climbing up onto the captain's chair to watch what the Doctor was doing. "What's the emergency?" Rose asked.

"It's mauve," Anna answered, as if it explained everything.

"Mauve?" Rose repeated.

"The universally recognized color for danger," the Doctor explained.

"What happened to red?"

"That's just humans. By everyone else's standards, red's camp. Oh, the misunderstandings! All those red alerts, all that dancing."

"What's wrong with dancing?" Anna frowned.

The Doctor and Rose exchanged looks before the Doctor cleared his throat. "It's got a very basic flight computer," he told Rose, pointing to a blip on the monitor. "I've hacked in, slaved the TARDIS. Where it goes, we go."

"And that's safe, is it?" Rose asked cautiously.

"Totally." Something on the console sparked dramatically, and the Doctor winced when both Rose and Anna gave him accusing looks. "OK, reasonably! I should have said reasonably there! No, no, no, no! It's jumping time tracks, getting away from us."

"What exactly is this thing?" Rose frowned at the monitor.

"No idea."

"Then why are we chasing it?" Anna looked at her father.

"It's mauve and dangerous, and about thirty seconds from the center of London."

"And that's bad."

"Quite."

***

"Do you know how long you can knock around space without having to bump into Earth?" the Doctor was complaining as they exited the TARDIS.

"Five days?" Rose guessed, smirking. "Or is that just when we're out of milk?"

"Of all the species in the universe, and it has to come out of a cow," the Doctor rolled his eyes.

"I like it!" Anna defended the drink. "Rose makes the best drinks out of it!"

"Well," Rose grinned, playfully flipping her hair over her shoulder when the Doctor mock glared at her. "Every five days it is, then, Doctor."

"You, turning my daughter against me," the Doctor grumbled, messing up his daughter's hair playfully. "Must have come down somewhere quite close. Within a mile, anyway. And it can't have been more than a few weeks ago, maybe a month."

"A month?" Rose repeated, surprised. "We were right behind it!"

"It was jumping time tracks all over the place. We're bound to be a little bit out. Do you want to drive?"

"Yeah," Rose grinned. "How much is a little?"

"A bit."

"Is that exactly a bit?" Anna tilted her head.