The End of the World

Man, it was exciting writing this. :) This is the first one where it pretty much follows the script exactly. So, sorry. People die in this one.

Rose's (and Anna's!) first adventure ahead! Here's "The End of the World!"

***

"Right, then, Rose Tyler," the Doctor turned to Rose as they met in the console room. "You tell me. You are the only human in this room. Where do you want to go? Backwards or forwards in time? It's your choice. What's it going to be?"

Rose considered. She'd only ever seen the Doctor in the past. "Forwards," she decided.

"How far?"

Rose looked to Anna, but the girl shrugged. "One hundred years," Rose suggested.

The Doctor messed with the controls, then stepped back when the TARDIS settled. "There you go," he folded his arms. "Step outside those doors, it's the 22nd century."

Rose gawked. "You're kidding!"

"That's a bit boring, though," the Doctor smirked. "Do you want to go further?"

"Fine by me!" Rose laughed.

Anna actually followed her father around this time, watching what he did intently. "Ten thousand years in the future," the Doctor said. "Step outside, it's the year 12005, which is . . . "

This was directed at his daughter. She stopped, blinking, before hesitantly asking, "The New Roman Empire?"

"Exactly!" the Doctor grinned, giving her a high five.

Rose giggled as she watched them. "You think you're so impressive!"

The Doctor folded his arms, raising an eyebrow. "I am so impressive," he informed her.

"You wish," she teased.

The Doctor huffed. "Right, then. You asked for it. I know exactly where to go. Hold on!"

Rose grabbed onto the console as the TARDIS flew off, Anna holding onto one of the coral structures. When the TARDIS settled again, the Doctor folded his arms and raised an eyebrow at Rose. "Where are we?" she asked. "What's out there?"

The Doctor just nodded to the doors. Rose grinned and ran for them, Anna right on her heels. She opened the door, letting Anna out, before she stepped out after her. "Observation gallery?" Anna asked, looking around the open room.

Rose walked down the flight of stairs leading to a shutter in the wall, and the Doctor used his sonic screwdriver to open it. "You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying," the Doctor said as the shutter descended, revealing the Earth. "Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids."

"How could you get killed by eggs or beef?" Anna blinked, looking up at Rose.

"I think that's just your father talking," Rose giggled.

The Doctor rolled his eyes fondly, putting one hand on Anna's shoulder. "But you never take time to imagine the impossible, that maybe you survive," he continued. "This is the year five point five slash apple slash twenty six, five billion years in your future, and this is the day . . . " He checked his wrist watch. "Hold on."

The sun flared suddenly, turning red, and Anna gasped. "Is this the day the Sun expands?" she asked the Doctor.

The Doctor nodded. "Welcome to the end of the world," he told a shocked Rose.

Rose's eyes widened as the Doctor headed for a door nearby, and she turned to Anna, eyes wide. Anna just shrugged and skipped after her father, Rose running to catch up.