When The Clock Strikes Ten

And sadly, we say goodbye to our beloved Nine. :'(

But I think you'll like the end! :D Enjoy!

***

Rose winced when she woke up, groaning softly as she tried to force her heavy eyes open. "Rose?" Anna's voice asked quietly, and she felt the little girl's hands shaking her shoulders. "Rose? Are you OK?"

"What happened?" she slurred as she tried to sit up.

"Don't you remember?" the Doctor's voice asked.

Eyes wide, she turned to see the Doctor was leaning on the console, watching her with a critical eye. "It's like there was this singing," she frowned, trying to remember.

"That's right," the Doctor grinned. "I sang a song, and the Daleks ran away."

"I was at home," Rose said slowly. "No, I wasn't," she frowned, that already didn't sound right. "I was in the TARDIS, and there was this light . . . " She shook her head. "I can't remember anything else."

"Daddy?" Anna whispered, sounding scared.

Concerned, Rose looked over, only to see the Doctor shake his head fondly. "Rose Tyler," he sighed. "I was going to take you so many places. Barcelona. Not the city Barcelona, the planet Barcelona. You'd love it. Fantastic place."

"The dogs have no noses," Anna agreed as Rose tried to figure out what was going on.

"Imagine how many times a day you end up telling that joke, and it's still funny," the Doctor grinned at his daughter, who giggled.

"Then why can't we go?" Rose frowned.

"Maybe you will, and maybe we will," the Doctor shrugged. "But not like this."

"You're not making sense," Rose got to her feet, looking at him suspiciously.

"I might never make sense again. I might have two heads, or no head. Imagine me with no head," he laughed. "And don't say that's an improvement. But it's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're going to end up with - " He groaned suddenly, doubling over, barely managing to hold onto the console with one hand.

"Doctor!" Rose ran forward.

"Daddy!" Anna cried.

"Stay away, both of you!" the Doctor held up his hand, stopping both of them in their tracks. Rose quickly entwining Anna's hand in her own.

"Doctor, tell me what's going on," Rose ordered.

"I absorbed all the energy of the Time Vortex, and no one's meant to do that," he answered with a cringe. "Every cell in my body's dying."

"Can't you do something?"

"Yeah, I'm doing it now. Time Lords have this little trick. It's sort of a way of cheating death. Except it means I'm going to change, and I'm not going to see you again. Not like this. Not with this daft old face." He winced, gesturing. "Kara." She ran forward, and he bent down with a wince to give her a fierce hug, Anna burying her head in his neck. "I love you so much, no matter who I am," he whispered in her ear. "And it's up to you to help Rose."

"I will," she answered, pulling back. "I love you."

He kissed the top of her head and gently pushed her back, and she ran back to Rose. "And Rose," he looked at her as he slowly stood again. "Before I go - "

"Don't say that!" she stared at him incredulously.

"Rose," he emphasized her name, making her stop. "Before I go, I just want to tell you . . . you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And you know what?" Rose shook her head, and the Doctor grinned. "So was I."

Anna smiled, then cried out when the Doctor threw his head back and his arms out, the orange light pouring from his body. Rose hid behind one of the coral structures, shielding her eyes with one arm, her other one clutching Anna tightly, trying to see through the light.

When it cleared, a new man stumbled forward, with very messy brown hair and brown eyes. "Hello!" he grinned at them, speaking in a South London accent instead of a Northern one. "OK - ooo." He made a face, running his tongue over his teeth. "New teeth. That's weird."

"It's the teeth?" Anna asked faintly as she stared at the Tenth Doctor, Rose just speechless.

"It's weird!" the Doctor defended himself. "So, where was I?"

"Barcelona!" Anna cheered, running forward.

The Doctor laughed and caught her, swinging her around, much to Anna's delight, while Rose just stood there staring and gawking.

Who the hell was this, and where was the Doctor?

***

Goodbye, Christopher Eccleston. :(

And hello, David Tennant! :D Oh, my God, you have no idea how excited I am to get to the next book for more with Ten being a Dad and One just being so freaking cute. :)

But . . . the epilogue awaits!