Chapter 9

Jenna's POV

I stare into his hazel eyes in astonishment, wondering if this is all some twisted dream and I'll wake up in my bed next to Carson, completely in love with him like I thought I was when I said yes when he asked me to marry him.

"J-Jacob?"

"It's nice to see you again," he says with a weak smile. I glance everywhere except his eyes, afraid of what I may say or do if I look into them.

"Hey, I know we're not on great terms and haven't talked for quite some time, but may I ask what's wrong?" He questions. I let out a sigh, one of the things that's keeping me from breaking.

"I'm sorry. Today is I was suppose to get married, and I blew it off last minute. Carson just feels horrible of what I did. You must feel horrible, because of what I did when we were 18. I just, I'm really sorry," I tell him, feeling my eyes become glossy but I make sure no tears escape. That's the last thing I need right now.

"Don't apologize for anything. We both made huge mistakes, and I wish I could take them back," he tells me. I'm about to ask him what he means until he speaks up again.

"Carson may be hurt because of what happened, but it would hurt more if he married someone that was truly ready to devote themselves to him. You saved him from a relationship that could've ruined both you and him and you should be proud of how brave you are that you managed to save both of you."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I just feel so bad because all of this planning went to waste," I tell him.

"Why don't you go back in there and confront him. It sucks that all of this time was put into this, but you can't hide from it forever. Face your fear," he says to me. I weakly smile.

Jacob walks back with me to the hall and I see everyone is still inside. When I walk back in quietly through the side door instead of the entry, I can't help but feel eyes watching my every move.
I walk up to Carson while looking down at my feet.

"Carson," I whisper. "I'm so sorry about running off. I can't commit to a relationship I'm not ready for. I don't want you to live with someone who just can't devote themselves to something so serious. I hope you know how truly sorry I am," I finish off quietly.

"Thank you for being honest, Jenna. I appreciate it. Everything's gonna be alright," he says with a weak smile. I do my best to smile back and gently hug him one last time before walking out. Jacob is waiting outside for me and we start to walk to nowhere in particular.

"I know this is a lot to ask, but so you think I could-"

"Yes, Jenna. You can stay at my house for as long as you'd like," he tells me. I slightly smile and thank him.

We walk silently towards his house. When we arrive, I notice it's the same house he's been living in all his life.

"You're still living in your parents house?" I ask. He nods.

"Half the time they're not even home. Anyhow, you can go to the washroom and clean up. All of your stuff from before is in a bin underneath my desk. You can go ahead and get whatever you need," he tells me.

"Alright. Thank you again, Jacob," I say.

"My pleasure."

While he goes and does something in kitchen, I go into his room and quickly gather the things I need. I go into the main washroom and take a quick shower. I blow dry my hair when I get out and put on my clothes. I put my hair up into a ponytail and decide that I'm finished getting cleaned up.