Chapter eight

The three hours passed and the vote had now begun, the four of us watched as the numbers of votes going through. I watch my name as the number beside it rises to thirty, as well as Carey, Kayleigh and Ella's number.

We carry on watching until one by one we drop asleep on the couch, first went Kayleigh, second went Ella, then Carey, but I was still awake until the clock struck 2:00am.

When the morning came around I was woken up by Carey, she was the only one awake looking at the numbers still going up, but slower than it was before we fell asleep.

My name and a girl named Joanna Hunt was at the top, both of tied with 600 votes each.

Looking over to the clock, we had just over thirty minutes until the voting will be over, the one with the most votes goes through, and the rest of us would return to our districts.

As the clock ticks, twenty minutes had passed and just over ten minutes would the voting come to an end.

Ella and Kayleigh had now woken up and were watching the voting, but as the last minutes comes to an end, they stop us from watching the numbers go up. "What they can't do that!" screams Kayleigh from beside me standing up. She turns to look at me as I let out a small laugh. "Why are you laughing? You and this Joanna Hunt are tied, and without watching as the next thirty seconds pass we don't know who has gone through!" she says frustrated as she falls back on the couch.

"What does it matter, I know I'm not going through, Joanna is instead. And I wish her the best of luck." I shrug my shoulders as I speak.

"You have a chance to go through, you and Joanna are tied, and you just need to get a single vote more than her to go back into the games" she smiles at me.

As the thirty seconds pass, they become matter of milliseconds. In addition, as they pass Steffie walks into the room and walks over to me. "Olive I have been told to come and get you and take you to the place where you will find out if you or Joanna has gone through," she says smiling.

I stand up giving a small quick hug to Ella, Kayleigh and Carey before following Steffie into the elevator. "When we get to the room you will be on your own until you come back out. Not even the capitol knows who has won yet." She smiles at me as the elevator doors open and the two of us walk out and down a hall to a door. Steffie stops walking and gives me a nod to go in. I take a deep breath before walking closer to the door and opening it, going into the room leaving Steffie on the other side.

Walking further into the room, the doors close behind me with a thud making me jump.

I notice a girl sat down on one of the three chairs in the quite large room with little furniture in. "You must be Olive?" she asks standing up and putting her hand out for me to shake, we shake hands before we both sit down.

"Yes I am, and you must be Joanna?" she nods her head a small smile on her lips.

"I cannot believe that they stopped us from seeing who won" Joanna says annoyed.

"I know right, it's so unfair!" the two of us laugh. "But whoever wins the vote is fair" I smile at and she nods her head.

After about five minutes, Condrey walks into the room, his pink hair still bright and still slicked back.

"Girls!" he says as he makes his way into the room and sitting down on the third chair, in the middle of Joanna and I. "Now as both of you know. You two was tied, and as this has never happened before we stopped everyone from seeing who got the most votes in the last milliseconds." He explains why they stopped us from knowing the winner. "And now the answer is in this golden envelope, one of your names is in here and the one who's is, will be going through. And you will go into the next arena."

I take once last glance around the room to see a camera, with a man behind it facing the three of us.

Taking a deep calming breath, I turn my head back to Condrey and waited for him to open the envelope to say who has won the vote by the public.

"And the girl, who is going through is..." he pauses as he opens the golden envelope, slowly building up the suspense for Joanna, me and the people watching, who is waiting to see who is going through.

Condrey takes a deep breath, before pulling the card out the envelope, and holding it to his chest so we couldn't see what is says.

"Joanna Hunt" And those words being said my heart drops to the floor, tears developing in my eyes, temping to fall any second.

As the tears build up, it is harder for me to keep them from falling, so I just let the odd one or two fall before wiping them away.

Looking up at Joanna, I see how happy see looks; a full smile showing, including her teeth, Condrey stands up bringing Joanna into a hug. Joanna gives a quick glance at me, her smile dropping a little before giving a sorry smile to me; I shake my head at her and give her a strong smile I could muster.

Condrey pulls away from the hug and the two sits down back in their chairs, before he turns to look at me, giving me a sorrow smile. "Thank you so much for talking part in the husband games, Olive. We loved you being here but now it's time for you to return to district S2." He stands back up and engulfs me into a hug.