Bad boy

James comes over to Ella's house one day after school accompanied by a yellowing bruise to his left cheekbone.

Ella wordlessly grabs an ice pack from the freezer. James winces when the wrapped pack comes into contact with his face.

"What happened?"

"It's just from rugby." James says too quickly.

Ella doesn't quite believe him and pushes for more "Really?"

"Kind of. Some of the guys on my team have been giving me a tough time. They're not making it obvious but pretending it's just slip ups on the pitch and making snide comments after. It's passive aggressive bullshit but it'll die down soon."

"Why are they doing this to you?" Ella asks concerned.

"Um... The whole Noah thing. He hasn't done anything but some of the team are just sticking up for him." He says hesitantly.

"It's so cruel." Ella says while not being able to take her eyes off of the offending bruise.

"Hey, I'll not be entering any beauty pageants soon but it's not too bad. It doesn't hurt..."

Ella raises a brow.

"...all that much." James trails off.

Trying to joke about the whole situation instead of worrying Ella jokes "It does make you look like a bit of a bad boy."

"The leather jacket and motorbike are next don't worry." James says laced with sarcasm.

"Which I will leap on with joy in an effort to piss off my mother." Ella jokes back.

"Oh I think your mother likes me too much for that." James smiles.

"She's so smitten. It's always when is James next coming over?" Ella whines but in a teasing and adoring way. "I'm glad she likes you. It's important to me."

"You haven't met my parents have you?" James asks.

"In the 6 months we dated and all the time we've been friends I've never even seen them." Ella mentions a little puzzled.

"They're away a lot." Is James' simple answer.

"Oh, so it's not that you're embarrassed of me or anything?" Ella asks with fake confidence but her quiet and hesitant tone gives her away.

"God no." James shakes his head. "Actually do you want to come to dinner with us this Saturday? Dad is back in town."

"I haven't guilt tripped you into this have I? Because I am completely able to wait until you're ready for me to meet them. There's no rush."

"No I want you to meet them. They'll love you."

Ella smiles widely. Her smile falters as she catches sight of his bruise again, but it remains all the same.