jam and other condiments

From the very beginning Ella had felt comfortable with James. Some would say too comfortable but for them it was just right.

Ella liked that she could be herself with him. She didn't have to pretend to be perfect. Too many past boyfriends had expected an idealistic relationship. Perfect and preppy Ella linked just so on their arm who could be introduced to mothers and aunts who would coo "isn't she just lovely" while Ella's smile grew faker and wider.

They gelled well together. However, there was an underlying tension they never quite discussed was always present. Noah.

James prided himself on being an easy going kind of guy. He was laid back and would never intentionally start a fight but Noah, his bestfriend of 8 years, was ebbing away at his easy temperament.

Ella felt it too. She was confused by Noah and she didn't like that. There had been an instant connection with him but in the grand scheme of things their moments together amounted to almost nothing. And really he came on far too strong for any 17 year old boy. It was an odd way in which he treated her. He was not possessive but there was this feeling that he needed her. Not wanted but needed.

Noah wanted to be free. Free from the way he was feeling. Free from his fixation on Ella. Ever since their first meeting she seemed to be everywhere. She had dated some of his friends, was friends with his god-sister and was now even the fucking girlfriend of his bestfriend. He craved freedom.